Friday, December 10, 2010

The Indoor Training Program This Year

This year's indoor training program is completely different from last year's. Although the 2011 cycling event calendar is far less frightening than 2010 my thinking is that the I'll probably enter the spring in better condition.

First, I'm not using the CompuTrainer this year. Low tech is the plan: the LeMond Revolution (sturdy, powerful and challenging wind trainer).

Second, I'm not going to force myself outdoors to train in the freezing and brutal elements. Too much time (hours and hours of driving and preparation and recuperation --- not to mention the expense) and the benefit just wasn't / isn't worth it.

Third, I'll be less a slave to a training log, spreadsheet, etc. I'll just train as much as I can and want, while I put family and work as priorities.

Fourth, I'll approximate a periodization method of training. The major goal, so far, is the W-E-W Cross Indiana State UMCA Record attempt on May 21st. No major terrain challenge; weather should be very agreeable.

Fifth, my focus will be on keeping a steady heart rate in the high 120 bpm - low 130 bpm range for long periods of time (17+ hours without a break). I've already put in a few 90 minute sessions of this in the last week.  It might turn out that this goal is too `easy.'

There will be several weekend days of 6 - 10 hours on the trainer, a nice window fan and music if and when I want it (no iPod; instead, just simple earbuds to a CD player). As the early spring arrives I'll put in more hours outdoors, as well.

In comparison to last year I'll be saving hours and hours of time I used for heat acclimatization. That is, I won't be dressing up as the Michelin man, surrounded by space heaters and `dikes and berms' surrounding the bike to contain the rivers of sweat.

Periodically I'll switch the bike to the CompuTrainer to measure wattage production. The Indiana course is flat and, though there will be wind and weather, I won't be dealing with 20 miles of 5-7% grades, 22% switchbacks, etc....

Again, the training will target the event: solid watt production, substantial heart rate capacity and long hours of doing it without interruption.

Though I expect to weigh in around 180 - 185 lbs for the Indiana event this will be a byproduct of training rather than a particular goal. If I had long hours of climbing to do in 2011 (like there was in 2010) I'd focus more on weight reduction.

Compared to last year I find myself much less `afraid' going into the training mode. It will be more natural, less insane. More integrated with the rest of my life.

And, I'm pretty confident -- determined -- that the results of the `off-season' training program will be amply demonstrated with a solid series of UMCA Cross State Indiana records.

No comments:

Post a Comment