Saturday, April 30, 2016

Sweet Spot

Over the years I've experimented with many ways to `perform well' on a recumbent in the mountains.  Climb well, navigate fast descending switchbacks, controlled and fast descents on the straightaways.  Wind. 
 
Although front wheel drive movable bottom bracket recumbents can do well on the flats (if the rider can master the push-pull by pedal force against steering) I found that they are not suited to my terrain. 
 
I spent 2015 customizing the seat and the steering so that the recline was less than 4%.  While I gained `aero' I gave up power.  This does not, axiomatically, mean that there is an inverse relation between power and aero.  In 2014 Matthias Konig set a new Adult Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired Class by riding 100 miles in 3:26:54.  Average speed 28.999.  He is clearly at a sub 4% recline. 
 
 
There is a great advantage to having a very, very high gear when descending long distances.  The more teeth in the biggest front ring the longer it will take you to `spin out' and just coast.  That advantage turns into a severe disadvantage on the flats and climbs. 
 
My training bike (Bacchetta Ti Aero) used to have a 55/42 front ring and 11/32 ten speed rear setup.  Even at the 42/32 combination I found myself `grinding' up hills. 
 
Recently I changed out the front rings to a traditional `double' of 50/34.  That was a big help but it still had me `grinding.'  Over the weekend I installed a new SRAM PG-1070 rear cassette: 11/36 ten speed. 
 
I seem to have stumbled upon the perfect combination: 50 upfront and 36 in back.  `Sweet Spot.'  I can climb a 7% extended grade at 6 mph at a 65 - 70 rpm cadence without feeling a `grind.'  Plenty left over for short accelerations, upshifting for overtaking another cyclist. 
 
THIS is yesterdays 25 mile, 2,118 ft of climbing training ride. 
 
I'm really looking forward to more training on the hills. 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment