Thursday, July 28, 2016

Tiller and Stem

With the Performer tiller and stem.   The stem is a hinge onto which the tiller is inserted.  For my bikes I've turned the `hinge' around so that there is a greater angle, allowing for a deeper angle of recline of the carbon fiber (Railgun) seat.  

When the hinge is turned around there it would otherwise rotate all the way to the ground.  To stop that from happening I tapped a screw hole in the base of the stem (see below).  I then inserted a strong screw with a nut and/or a few washers.  

The screw, nut and washers stop the tiller.  So that the screw, nut and washer doesn't hit the metal of the stem I've cut up some plumbing hose, stacked the pieces of the plumbing hose together and lashed it with some cable ties.  This cushions the screw so that it is not metal on metal.

I connected the stacked plumbing hose to the base of the stem.  The base of the stem turns with the tiller so there is no friction.  

I'm sure Henry Ford made even more bizarre contraptions before he hit on the right idea. 

Below you will find pics of the stem, tiller, screw and plumbing hose `bumper' for both the Bacchetta Ti Aero and the Bacchetta CA2.








No comments:

Post a Comment