Saturday, June 24, 2017

Oasis and Good Samaritan in the AZ Desert

Over past two days I've been ramping up the `intensity' and `volume' aspects of my training.  

Due to the heat of my usual training courses (110F) I drove to Flagstaff and cranked out 106 miles with 5,430 feet of climbing. Sadly, the recent heat wave in the southwest reached all the way to Flagstaff (7,400 ft elevation) and the temp was over 100F.  

Flagstaff Training

So, the following day, I decided to drive back down to Prescott and do another intense day of miles and climbing.  This time I was going to emphasize the climbing (5,371) over distance (62 miles). The temp reached 122F while climbing up a steep hill (Yarnell Grade).  

Prescott Training

As I was making my final climb up the twisty switchbacks of the White Spars the rear bolt on one of the struts that supports the seat just sheared off.  (When I put power to the pedals my back transfers my weight and the power directly to the two struts ... a heavy load).  
As it happened I was passing the `Burro Saloon' in a desolate desert town called `Nowhere, Arizona.' And it IS nowhere.  And hot.  And hanging off the side of a mountain.  

No cell phone coverage and 18 steep and hilly miles from Prescott, I went into the Burro Saloon to ask to use a landline to call for a `rescue' pickup from a friend.  Instead 3 guys jumped up and offered to drive me back to Prescott in their trucks.  Bike and all.  

I chose the least drunk volunteer.

After waiting an hour for `Charlie' to "finish up my drink and then we'll git'a'goin" I had a Guinness and made about five new friends: Steve, Karen, Doug, Skip ... and the very buxom barmaid.  

Turned out that they all knew about the `Ghost Rider,' the guy "on one a them lay back bikes" who is covered head to toe in white protective sun clothing.  They had seen me many times on my training rides down there.  

Here are a few pics:  



No comments:

Post a Comment