Sunday, July 23, 2017

Mid Sole Cleats

I wear sandals with recessed cleats when cycling.  I've done this for years on the recumbent.  

Recently, though, I've made some changes to the sandals to accommodate a problem (`hot foot') encountered when I do a lot of climbing. I've modified the sandals so that the cleat is under the middle of my foot, the soft arch of the foot.   

On most cycling shoes (including sandals) the cleat is positioned under the balls of the feet. When there is constant pressure on the balls of the feet the nerves between the bones become irritated and begin to create what cyclist's refer to as `hot foot.'  This is a painful thing.  Worse, the pain causes the cyclist to not push so hard on the pedals ... resulting in reduced performance.  

Particularly on a recumbent, placing the cleat mid sole avoids `hot foot' symptoms and problems. The pressure is placed in the soft arch of the foot.  And on long, demanding rides or training sessions the absence of painful `hot foot' makes for a much different experience.  And likely better performance.  

Joe Friel, on his blog, makes for the case for a mid sole positioning of the cleat.  "Unconventional Thinking"  I strongly endorse his `unconventional' thinking and encourage other's to consider this as an option.  It has made a world of difference for me.  


3 comments:

  1. What did you do to successfully anchor your cleats in the midfoot position?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small world Daniel, I started Coconut RR back in 2009. I also started making arch cleat shoes/sandals back then. Steven Jackson in Texas sent me the link to your blog. We have a public FaceBook group, Recumbent One. I checked out several links on bent subject. Bill Barrere wbarrere@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad, if you are on FaceBook, go to Recumbent One for info and photos. Or, mail me at; wbarrere@gmail.com and I'll help you with the Arch Cleat upgrade. Bill

    ReplyDelete