Thursday, February 8, 2018

Pace Bend Ultra - Race Report

I participated in the Pace Bend Ultra Race last Friday and Saturday (Feb 2 - 3).  I registered for the 24 hour event.  

THE PACE BEND COURSE:

Located on a small Texas State Park (a peninsula, Pace Bend State Park) the course consists of a 6.2 mile rectangular `loop,'  Pace Bend Ultra Course.  There is virtually no traffic on this two lane, glass smooth open road.  This is a hilly course with three very short (less than 50 yards) climbs topping off at 11 - 12% degree grades.  Short and steep.  The descents match the ascents, except that they are longer and somewhat twisty.  For a total of 316 feet of climbing and an average of 51 feet per mile.  

The staging point (start and finish) constitutes a large camping and RV parking area with a large washroom with shower facility, several picnic tables and benches.  Racer stations are lined up along the side of the course road allowing both crewed support and self support.  If the racer is doing the 18 hour or 24 hour event (night time darkness) s/he may experience the occasional bright lights of vehicles cresting a hill in the opposite direction.  

RACE ORGANIZATION AND SUPPORT:

It couldn't have been better.  Very well thought out, organized and supported throughout the event.  The race organizers offered rental of large tables, 10 x 10 large canopy, chairs and ice chests.  Just bring you bike, your clothes and food. I rented both a table and the canopy.  The Race support staff set up and took down both of them -- very, very helpful.  

A very large illuminated digital time display (time of day) was set up just before the start line.  This is a chip timed event but with a simple twist: no chip.  Instead the racer attaches to his/her bike an electronic ribbon on which your racer number is displayed.  Better than a chip.  The electronic ribbon is disposable.  (I have a habit of forgetting to return the chip after an event and wind up mailing the chip back to the race organizer.  The ribbon eliminates this.)

As I was traveling from Arizona (2,500 miles, round trip) I inquired if I could access the services of a local crew person (nutrition, mechanicals, clothing exchanges, other race related logistics).  I was directed to Shane Traughber of Traughber Nutrition.  Traughber Nutrition offers a variety of services in support of health and competitive athletics.  Did I luck out!  Shane supported me at every level, i.e., nutrition, physical, logistics, timing, encouragement and experienced wisdom.  

On the afternoon of the 3rd a mobile bike shop was present to offer support and equipment for those needing it.  After the race a sumptuous BBQ meal was provided ticket holders.  Very quickly after the race (less than an hour) the awards ceremony took place, allowing tired racers and crew to receive their honors and skeedaddle to rest after the event.  

THE RACE CATEGORIES AND PARTICIPANTS:

The 24 non-drafting event is a Race Across America (RAAM) qualifying event.  During the entire event a support vehicle drives the course in the opposite direction.  At one point during the course there is a left turn across a lane.  The turn is brightly illuminated and monitored by either/both a race official (with vehicle) or a police vehicle with lights flashing.  (I felt very safe, especially as the long hours of racing does affect one's level of alertness and vigilance).  

There are four events: 24 hour, 18 hour, 12 hour and 6 hour.  Upright (standard) bicycles, recumbents (2 wheeled and trikes).  Geared and fixed gear.  Solo, two person and four person teams.  

I observed virtually every category of racer.  From the extremely powerful and fast competitive racer to the more average (and in my case, sedate) racer.  All age, gender, bike type categories.  

MY RACE:

As mentioned I registered for the 24 hour race, solo, two wheel recumbent.  

After completing the November (2017) World Time Trial Championships in Borrego Springs, CA, I wanted a near term racing event goal to anchor my winter training.  The Pace Bend Ultra Race fit the bill in many respects: World Ultra Cycling Association endorsed; safe route; good race organization and direction.  

I arrived at the nearby town of Spicewood, Texas two days before the start of the race.  On the day before the race I rode the course route (6.2 miles) several times to familiarize myself with it, to make final bicycle adjustments.  On the day of the race I arrived at the course at 2:00PM and met Shane Traughber.  The race staff set up the pop-up tent and table for me.  I arranged my supplies and gear (food, liquid, tools, bottles, etc) on the table and familiarized Shane with my clothing supplies and the recumbent bikes that I was to ride.  

The race began at 6:00PM, with a mass start.  The weather was in the late 50F's, with virtually no wind but overcast.  It quickly became dark.  Having participated in many 12 and 24 hour races I was certain to pace myself for the long haul, i.e., no fast laps that would only compromise my endurance.  

As the evening and night wore on I found myself having a problem with the bright lights of the oncoming vehicles.  It was pitch black.  And I don't know if they had their bright lights on or not.  But a recumbent cyclists position is typically at or below the level of the headlights of a vehicle.  At one point, while patiently climbing a 12% incline I found myself blinded and disoriented by the oncoming headlights of a vehicle.  And I had to stop and get off the bike.  It is very difficult to get back on a recumbent and start climbing a 12% incline so I walked about 25 yards to the top of the hill before I got back on the bike to ride.  Although I didn't have to get off the bike again after that point I struggled with being near-blinded by oncoming lights for the remainder of the night.  

In October of 2017 I apparently pulled a tendon in my right leg during training on some of the bruiser mountains in my local terrain (Prescott, AZ).  I had been nursing and caring for that issue over the subsequent months with sometimes-good sometimes-not-so-good results.  My hope was for a `good' outcome at the Pace Bend Ultra Race.  That is, no interference with my performance from the tendonitis.  

After completing about 6 hours of racing in a cautious, careful and `intelligent' manner ... things got `not-so-good.'  It started with a little ache behind the right knee and progressed quickly to a throbbing pain around the knee and down my calf to my right foot.  A show-stopper.  I wasn't sure if it was complete show-stopper but it took me off the bike.  

This had happened the previous November at the World Time Trials and I got off the bike, laid down and elevated my right leg for about two hours.  So I did that again at Pace Bend.  But ... would you believe ... I fell asleep.  I was down and off the bike for three hours.  Waking up I found that the pain and aching in the leg was virtually non-existent.  HURRAH!  But I knew, of course, that I was vulnerable to the tendonitis flare-up.  

I got on the bike and took off again for about two more hours before the disabling tendonitis returned.  I elevated my leg again, this time for about an hour.  I was bummed.  The aching seemed to persist.  I was really, really bummed.  Long story short, I concluded that my race was over.  In this state of `bummedness' I actually started to put my street clothes on and told Shane I was going to pack it in.  Shane applied his `influence' skills on me.  And despite his logic and experience he is no match for a pigheaded arrogant cranky Irishman who will listen to no one and nothing.  .... Or so I thought.  

As I was packing my van with my gear I started to think just how shitty and depressed I would feel driving back home.  I mean really, really SHITTY and DEPRESSED.  

So I turned to Shane and said: "Ummm.  Uhhh.  I think I'm having a change of mind."  I realized when I said it that it must have sounded like "I think I'm having gastroenteritis in my pants."  

We both blinked.  And smiled.  And I decided to ride the friggin' bike on the friggin' course for as long as I could.  Then if the disabling pain returned I'd get off for 20 minutes, rest the leg ... and get back on the friggin' bike and ride the friggin' course again.  And over and over again.  

At first I rode four laps before I had to dismount.  Then that got to three laps.  And finally to ride two laps, get off, get back to riding.  Until 6:00PM.  

I am very happy that I allowed myself to do that.  Though I didn't achieve the 300 mile goal I had planned on I am grateful to Shane for his understanding and ... and ... his grim stare.  

I had a great time.  I'm seeing an orthopaedist next Thursday.  

I will be back at the Pace Bend Ultra Race in 2019!


Shane Traughber, me and ... TA DA!  the recumbent winner, Steve Timmons.

9 comments:

  1. Nice write up, but little mention of the weather! You originally mentioned it was "drizzly" and wet (rain?)!I'm disappointed I didn't go but I would not have been happy with my result as I'm only now getting any consistent, good training in! Maybe next year? Solvang 200 coming up then it's off to Bessie's Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. Didn’t mention the rain. Probably because I usually expect it and I’ll take rain over heat all ... day ... long. It would have been great to hang out with you there, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a challenging and wonderful experience! Thank the stars for wise mentors and our own tenacity. Congratulations!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cycled several 24 hour events, all of which began very early am. Isn't it much more difficult to begin such an event at 6pm as opposed to 6am? I tend to awaken very early in the am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim ... It must be a very personal preference thing. I prefer to get ride through the night in a state of relative freshness and to have daylight when I'm pushing back the sleep. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I have cycled in many 24 hour events, all of which began early am. Isn't it much more difficult to begin such an event at 6pm as opposed to 6am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great report Dan, hope to be able to do this race next year. Are you going to Glen Rose for the TTT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave ... it is on my racing calendar for this year. Texas has great ultra racing and a really, really welcoming community of people. Looking forward to it. You?

      Delete
    2. Dan will be at Glen Rose baring another hurricane . It has been a great event in years past. I will do Calvin's and the 24 hr challenge as well as some brevets in Illinois Wisconsin and maybe Iowa as well as a couple of week long tours.

      Delete