Friday, March 23, 2018

Texas Ultra Spirit - Logistics

These past three or four weeks have been a maelstrom of medical issues.  Most of them `preventative.'  The last week has been consumed with work (part time clinical practice) and my wife's knee replacement surgery.  She's doing remarkably well... up and about with a cane and ascending and descending stairs.  Neither of us expected such a strong recovery.  

This is a link to the surgery performed. Her physician (Bertrand Kaper, MD) working on another patient utilizing identical procedure: Complete Replacement of Right Knee

Needless to say my training has been impacted.  Probably not a bad thing given that I've concluded that the right knee pain was NOT arthritis but it was tendonitis.  The steroid shot in the right knee had no effect on the pain when I pushed the intensity on a 75 mile long, 5,300 ft of climbing event several weeks ago.  

As well, I was able to more specifically locate the source of the pain to the right posterior tendon descending from the knee.  Proper tendon care has subsequently been employed.  More rest than I was patient/willing to allow.  Ice.  Heat.  Less intense work on the trainer.  In this regard the three weeks of medical distractions has been a good thing.

If my wife continues to improve she'll be walking without assistance or support and driving in two weeks.  Far less demand on me for 24/7 caregiving, shopping, household chores, cooking, etc, etc..  

So that means I've got 4 weeks til TUS.  A week more of work on the trainer, then every other day on the road.  And then mostly full time open road work.  The TUS course is not hilly (TEXAS ULTRA SPIRIT COURSE).  Especially compared with the Pace Bend Ultra Race Course (3 Laps of PBUR Course.  Which means that I can train on less challenging (climbing) road out here.  Good for tendon care. 

If I do participate in the Texas Ultra Spirit Ultra Race I will drive, sleep and self-support from my Ford Connect Transit Van.  I've attached a generous roof rack that will carry clothes, tools, supplies, etc in two Series 3 Sportubes, leaving ample room inside for the bikes, a cot, sleeping gear and other traveling needs.  When I get to the TUS I'll pack up the cot and sleeping gear on the rack and position my clothing supplies, etc, in the van for the Race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment