Friday, March 16, 2018

Whining ... and maybe some useful advice

Tendonitis?
Arthritis?
Cataracts?
Dental implants?

What I thought was first tendonitis, and then arthritis, and then, again tendonitis is just that: tendonitis. A simple ‘use’ injury. A ‘use’ injury that took a lot of time, effort and money to identify.

First, I mostly took things calmly and backed off the intensity. A little. 

Then, when the pain persisted I got x-rays to see if it was arthritis. It is. But we all have some arthritis as we age. And my x-rays showed the arthritis was worse on the OTHER knee... which had no pain.

Still, I got a cortisone shot in the knee that hurt. Gentle to mildly demanding training resulted in no pain.

Two weeks later I did an intensive training session of 75 miles and 5,400 feet of climbing. Pain returned. NOT the knee. Localised to (no medical jargon) the back of the knee. The constant extension of the leg irritated (-itis = inflammation) the tendon.

So.  Back to tendonitis. And the KEY treatment for tendonitis is rest (with ice, heat, mild stretching and NSAIDs).

Cataracts.

That is, glasses. Again, almost everybody gets some-or-a-lot of ‘stuff’ in their eyes as they age. I had ‘some’ stuff.  But these days ophthalmologists can also put a corrective lens in the eye after they ‘suck’ the cataract stuff out of the eye.  

So I had that done last week.  Uncomfortable but really, really worth it.  

NO GLASSES. NO GLASSES. NO GLASSES!!!

Dental.

Again.  As we age ‘preventative maintenance' is a strategic factor in remaining active and competitive. Dental implants. Four of them. 

Weird shit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the past 2 weeks have felt like my head has been used for golf practice with a 5 iron.

BUT WAIT!! THERE’S MORE.

As I type this out I’m watching over my wife in a hospital 5 hours after she her second knee replacement.  When we return home I’ll be tending to her every wish and sneaking off to the trainer as much as possible.

Coming up.  

  • Texas Ultra Spirit 24 hours.  
  • Then 24 Hours In The Canyon.

Easy peasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment