Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Drumming My Fingers

Waiting to be scheduled for right knee replacement surgery.  

Image result for going crazy gif

A `firm' date almost four months away.  I've requested `dibs' to be first on the waiting list. 

Worst case would be surgery would be so late in the year my cycling event calendar will be trashed.  I'll need a firm program of indoor training and fitness.  When we're older we lose fitness faster and it is more difficult to get it back.  

Four days a week on the LeMond Revolution Direct Drive trainer.  

Image result for lemond revolution

This is a `dumb' trainer because it has no gizmos that measure speed, distance or power.  I went to Youtube to search if other's may have `hacked' the Revolution to offer some metrics.  And I got lucky. Hacking the Revolution.

That gets me speed and distance.  And that is all I need to build something I can work with.  I won't be wanting the full magilla of internet racing, Zwift, etc.  

At least two days a week on the Concept2 Indoor Rower.  



The nice thing about the Concept2 Rower is that the company supports their base with an online training log and a ton of web based `challenges.'  Helps with motivation. 

It is a fact: indoor training is fundamentally boring.  And outfits like Zwift, etc, are making a fortune with graphics and internet competitions.  A fortune.  

Since I'll be doing several hours a day on the Revolution I don't want to be stuck indoors while doing it.  So I've set up the bike/Revolution on one of our decks overlooking the Prescott National Forest and the city of Prescott.  

One can listen to driving beat music (podrunner.com) only so long.  And one can listen to audiobooks only so long.  So I'll be watching movies on my iPad.  The iPad will be affixed to the tiller with a set of adjustable `arms' and a CRADLE.  If the background light (sun, etc) gets too bright I'll just lower the shade.  

I'm hoping to be in excellent shape for the surgery and recover well and quickly after the surgery.  

Yeah.  I know.  

This is kind'a crazy.  

Good crazy, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment