Thursday, August 9, 2018

Choosing a Cross-State WUCA Route

I hold two World Ultra Cycling Association Cross-State records.  2009.  Illinois and Indiana.  Male recumbent 60-69.  

If the upcoming knee surgery (replacement) goes well 2019 should be a good year for me.  My bikes (Bacchetta Ti Aero, CA2 and CA3) are good (countless modifications over the past few years to make them durable, more aerodynamic and comfortable on long events).  I'm in good physical shape and the knee rehab should go well, allowing me to train to be in competitive condition.  

I have a primary criterion when considering an open road cycling event with a crew:

  • SAFETY:
    • low volume traffic 
    • NOT a significant truck route
    • shoulders that aren't taken up with rumble strips
Image result for rumble strips on highway

I considered repeating the Illinois and Indiana events but, at this point, the only challenge would be in beating records I set a decade ago.  Not much motivation there given the other options.  

I had considered Nevada but reports from other cyclists have convinced me that the road quality and truck traffic make the routes too dangerous. 

That leaves me with Idaho, ColoradoNebraska and Iowa.  

To my surprise, among these four Colorado has the most population, cities and traffic.  Though I will continue to investigate this route I don't think it will pass muster.

Idaho has decent distance (400 miles) and challenging climbing (15,332 feet).  A few interstate highways are nearby the route so that might mitigate the truck traffic.  More investigation is needed regarding the safety issues.

Nebraska has good distance (430 miles) but is short when it comes to climbing (7,674 feet).  A few WUCA cyclists have recently traversed the Nebraska route and I'll want to contact them to get their opinions.  The route is quite straightforward: US 20 all the way across the state.  

And Iowa is likely to be tricky.  Although the route is relatively short (280 miles) with decent relative climbing (10,465 feet) that may be deceptive.  Iowa is known for long rolling hills.  But the RWGPS map shows the elevation points to be `choppy,' i.e., short steep hills.  Which may be fun (as long as the route doesn't mimic the roads in Ireland -- short pops with 18% grades). Again, this route needs more investigation.  




No comments:

Post a Comment