Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Sliding Down the White Spar

I think I'm in the final stages of recovery from a three week bout of the most mysterious flu.  Started out like most flu episodes (head filled with snot, coughing), then moved into laryngitis and finally persisted as two weeks of low energy and high need for sleep.  

With ten days to a 12 hour time trial at Borrego Springs I finally got back on the bike for a quick up'n'over the Bradshaw mountain on the White Spar.  

Kept it low and slow most of the way.  The conditions were good for fast descents, though.  On the last 2.5 miles of the ride it is all downhill and switchbacks.  Glass smooth road.  Posted speed limit ranges between 30 - 45 mph.  

As I began the descent I noted a car about 30 yards behind me preparing to pass.  Usually I just pull over and wave the vehicle past so that I don't have to deal with the hassle.  This time, however, I was having just too much fun, and knowing I wasn't going to overtrain on the descent.  So I pushed it.  

Riding the Spars 

For the first 100 yards I pedaled hard to get to `escape velocity.'  Then I assumed the `luge' position and took advantage of the 4 - 6 degree angle of descent.  With the combination of the luge and tucking tightly I was able to accelerate to 45 mph as I approached the first `gentle' curve.  The car behind became distant as it complied with the 30 mph limit.  

For the next mile I continued the luge and the tuck.  When my speed reduced to 38 mph I engaged the pedals again and cranked hard and fast (115-120 rpm due to the fact that my big ring on the Ti Aero is only a 50t).

I expected the car behind to pass me but I think he was having a good time watching me have a good time.  He stayed well behind me all the way to the end.  

That was fun. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun,glad you are feeling better,are you still considering Borrego?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My mileage expectations remain the same for the 12 hour but that's because I'm hard headed and irrationally optimistic.

      Delete