Friday, September 14, 2018

Setback and Blessing

Monday, September 10, was the four week milestone regarding the knee replacement surgery.  Good, but arduous and painful progress.  I was very pleased.  

That evening I slipped on a wet spot on our tile floor.  The left leg went out as I went down and the right leg (surgical knee) went under me.  I hyperflexed the right knee, resulting in a serious tear of the quadricep muscle at the knee.  Swollen, bruised and painful. 

A quick visit with the surgeon resulted in a very probable additional surgery at the knee to stitch the quadricep muscle back together.  Failing to do this the right leg will be impaired, not extending properly, weakening the entire leg.  

So, another surgery. 

After the surgery I'll have to wear a full leg immobilizer,i.e., something that will force the leg to NOT bend at the knee, allowing the quad muscle to grow back together again. THIS  is a full leg immobilizer.  For three months, 24/7.  

I'll be restricted to upper body work in order to maintain good fitness.  

Key to my upper body fitness regimen will be the Concept2 indoor rower.  Unfortunately I won't be able to move back and forward on the rolling seat.  But, I will be able to capture both aerobic and anaerobic cardiovascular exercise.  I've never had much upper body strength so this may be a blessing in disguise.  

Lemonade from lemons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment