Saturday, December 11, 2010

Avg Wattage Estimate for UMCA Indiana event

Originally Posted by galilee
"Just curious but what is your target watt output for the Indiana event?"

I don't know yet. So many factors play into setting such a target on discrete racing events. Shorter distance and more difficult terrain would argue a higher wattage. 300 miles with half of it likely with a tail wind and a slight incline and the other half with a slight decline into a wind ... again, hard to say.

Last June (RAW) I averaged 106 bpm over 415 miles in 27 hours from San Diego to Congress, AZ, with minimal (at least "I" thought it was minimal) real climbing (50 miles max). Frankly, that is the kind of range you would want for anticipated 860 mile three day event. That certainly might equate to wattage in the 120 or less range.

I didn't expect to have to stop in Congress. And I think it had to due to the constant diarrhea I experienced. You can hydrate and fuel only so much, but diarrhea will take it's toll. My nutrition and hydration plan for Indiana will include much moe solid foods (turkey jerky, turkey weiners, etc).

Given the Indiana attempt I might expect to average 150 - 170 watts, 130 - 140 bpm for 15 hours - which will be bordering on depletion and exhaustion. I want to avg between 24 - 26 mph. Very, very challenging goal.

I think the CompuTrainer numbers in mid-March should give me a more accurate and reliable set of data. I'm quite curious, too.

__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment