Sunday, December 12, 2010

Surprising

Just the other day I established what I thought would be a challenging indoor training goal of maintaining an average heart rate of between 128-132 bpm.  Looks like it's not so challenging. 

When I got on the trainer today the first 5 minutes felt uncomfortable and I was wondering if this was going to be a crappy 90 minutes of disappointment.  Twenty minutes later I was having to restrain myself from pushing past the 130's.  For the rest of the workout I found myself easily pushing into the late 130's and then backing off so as to stay on plan. 

I think part of what is going on is that:
  • I'm regaining the fitness I let slide as I closed out the cycling season about 8 weeks ago and played catch-up with neglected family/work duties;
  • I typically close my eyes when indoors;
  • My mind wanders (`to do' lists, memories of past rides, etc);
  • I get caught up in the music I'm listening to.  
I'll let what happens happen over the next week or two, not pushing for `peformance' and power so early into the indoor training off-season. 

The (possibly) good news is that I may simply be stronger than I was last year, stronger than I thought.  It's interesting to recognize how our body's response to years of training improves despite (in my case) the fact that I'm 65 yrs old. 

I wonder if I should increase the HR goal to the 140's range.  This increases my curiosity about how many watts I'm generating.  But that will have to wait.  I have to be careful to not spend too much time training at the expense of the many other things going on in my life. 

Balance.  Always the important variable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment