Saturday, March 13, 2010

Steady on ...

The last few weeks has seen Chicago weather bearable for outdoor training.  Temps in the 20's to 40's.  Got in a 177 mile weekend last week.  Mighty cold and a stiff NE 10- 20 mph wind makes the windchill even colder.  Dressing in layers, sweating and changing into dry clothes, and getting the bike fit for outdoor work slows things down a bit. 

Some shifting problems caused me to recognize the need for a new chain and rear cassette.  Both were worn to a numb and causing problems.

Friday, yesterday, did 4 loops of 26 miles each.  Though the temp was supposed to be in the mid-50's it never got above 44.  The wind was manageable the first 3 loops and then howled in the steady 20 mph ranges.  Just as I finished the last loop it started to rain hard. 

Today I need to get a lot of charting completed for my work as a psychologist.  I need to know that my priority tasks are taken care of before I allow myself to `spin my wheels.' 

Tomorrow the plan is to do another hundred or so.  Temps to be colder and wind stiffer.