Friday, July 2, 2010

Stopped but not finished - RAW 2010

I've not visited this blog since the last of May.  The Race Across the West 2010 has come and gone and I'm so deep into my job and work that I'm just coming up for air. 

First, I stopped at Time Station 6, Congress, Arizona, 392 miles into the 860 mile route.  I think elapsed time was 28 hours.  But riding (on the bike) time was 25 hours.  I could try to be `cute' and say that I had all my questions answered before I had to do the rest of the Race.  The fact is, though, that I was certain that I had nothing left. 

Simple fact is that my assessment in March, that the whole RAW route would be more than I could train for by June, was correct.  But I waaaannnnted to be in RAW, anyway.  My training regimen was spot-on.  I did the power work.  I rode the long weekends.  I just didn't have enough time to do more of it so that my endurance was there.  The 392 miles that I did do, however, I think I did very well.  A good start. 

I owe a lot of people.  I owe my wife, my family and my crew more than I can say.  They supported me in every way possible.  My son, David, drove the support van from Chicago all the way to San Diego.  He had to fly back home but my other son, James, flew into San Diego to crew for me on the Race. 

Allan Duhm was my crew chief and Jeff Clark was my mechanic.  They were a solid size `10' to my size `5.'  I could not have had a more informed, good natured, take-no-prisoners crew.  They were supportive, demanding, accepting, whacky and made me feel like I didn't have to do anything but ride the bike. 

After I stopped at Congress we all packed up and drove the 45 miles up Yarnell Grade, through Skull Valley and into Prescott, where my wife was waiting in a house we have in Prescott.  Everybody had a good meal, drinks, conversation, showers, a comfy and clean bed for the night.  Heaven! 

The next morning Allan and James were able to rearrange their flight home from Durango to Phoenix.  Jeff was off in a rented car to Durango where he had his bike shipped from home so that he could spend a few days on his own exploring the mountain bike heaven of Durango.

I recovered in 2.5 days and got back on the bike, riding from Prescott to Congress and back up Yarnell Grade, through Skull Valley and Prescott.  Did these routes several times over the following week on my own.  The area is an absolute `valhalla' for all kinds of cycling.

I had no cramps.  The heat (103 - 107) didn't get to me.  I hydrated well.  My preparation --- for 400 miles --- was perfection.  My fuel (nutrition) didn't `work.'  Too much intensely rich liquid nutrition caused me to have a hard time, i.e., I had the `runs.'  I was worried it might progress to dehydration but .... I didn't allow that.  Next time I'll be more informed and experienced. 

It's quite clear to me that my work life doesn't permit me to train for racing and competition.  I might have been better prepared if I didn't live in a major urban city that freezes over in the winter.  But I still think that I work too many hours to be able to compete at the level of which I'm capable.  Two years and I won't be working anymore. 

More, later.  But .. would I do it all over again, knowing what I now know?   Is the Pope Catholic?!  Does a donkey have a tail?!  Does a bear **** in the woods?!

- Dan