Sunday, February 27, 2011

What a difference

Looking at my Garmin data I noted that on the same date last year (2010) I rode on the indoor trainer for 5 hours and 18 minutes.  It was a `loping' training session as the performance goal (RAW 2010) was long distance endurance and not speed. 

This year I'm finding it soooooo depressing to spend hours on the indoor trainer.  Though, when I do get on the bike I'm pushing intensity and not loping.  Different performance goals this year.  Some well informed sports trainers say that short intensity is better than long loping.  I partially accept this because there is just no way to know what your body will do after 12+ hours of racing -- unless you do it in training.  I don't think you can train short and expect to race long. 

I decided to `trick' myself into finding ways to put in more time on the indoor trainer.  I take my Garmin 705 unit off the bike mount and situate it near different training machines.  Since, of course, it is meaningless to measure `miles' when training indoors I'm only measuring heart rate. 

Today I started out on the Concept 2 rowing machine for 30 minutes, moved over to the Sole elliptical for another 30 minutes, and finished off on the recumbent bike LeMond Revolution wind/flywheel trainer.  Looking at my heart rate data there is a steady rise in BPM from the rower, to the elliptical to the bike.  Which is the way I like it.

I have a Racermate CompuTrainer but I haven't put it to much use this year.  The advantage I would have with the CompuTrainer is that I could measure watts on the bike.   But last year was quite a pain in the tail with the C'trainer for two reasons. 

First, it requires a rear wheel to be pressed down on a electromagnetic load generator.  At least once a week I'd blow a tire and tube in the midst of a full-on power session.  There is nothing more frustrating than having to interrupt an intense training session to change a tire.  It is especially problematic when there are other demands on my time, e.g., work, family, sleep, etc....  Most times I'd just end the training session and change the tire later. 

Second, the C'trainer requires attaching several electric cords and power sensors to the bike.  This takes time.  Another problem I had last year along these lines was when I wanted to take the bike for weekend outdoor training sessions.  I'd have to undo all the cords and connections only to put them all back on the bike for weekday indoor training.