Saturday, March 19, 2011

Extinction is in my future

Honestly!  If the baby jeezuz offered me the option of choosing between eternal hell or eternal life in Chicago in perpetual winter it would be a no brainer: HELL!!

The winter of 09/10 saw me spending enormous amounts of time and money to train outdoors no matter what the weather.  Crazy insane preparation for RAW 2010.  I seriously neglected many other areas in my life to get ready for RAW. 

This past winter, though, I have been compelled to attend to other priorities.  Though I did do some indoor training of moderate quality it was not something to be proud of.  And I'm o.k. with that.  I did very well with the other priorities.

So today was a sunny Saturday.  Temp was in the 40's.  Prairie winds always in the high teens.  Drove the 107.5 round trip distance to train on the open prairie farm roads. 

Though I did fine I'm not remotely in as good a fitness (endurance, strength) as I was this time last year.  And THAT is what has really got me irritated. 

Living in the frigging tundra where you have to dress like the Michelin man, drive for hours, spend $30 on gas and tolls just to attempt a quality outdoor training experience ... and THEN contend with the loss of fitness due to the cold and snow! 

Climbing the late winter, early spring training wall ... year after year after year after year.  Anybody ever heard of Sisyphus?!!!

G'bye Chicago!!  G'bye tundra!! 

And good riddance. 

BTW: oftentimes the reason a species goes extinct has to do with that species' inability to accomodate climate change.  Hence my reference to becoming extinct.  If I had to stay in Chicago I'd take up single malt sport drinking. 

2 comments:

  1. Dan,

    Your blog is inspiring and am thinking of starting my own. I put in the miles.....2600 so far since January 1....since I live in Georgia and Florida. I have been in Florida since 1/1/11 and riding six days per week.

    I love to put in the miles, but haven't gotten the fire in my belly to do the ultras yet. I am reconsidering my 2011 goals, one of which is 10,000 miles, but also considering adding some ultra events. I am 69, but still think I have some major ultra accomplishments in my body. Need the motivation though, and your blog is helping. Thanks.

    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Howard ... With 2600 miles in 2011 I am certain that you have more than `some' major ultra accomplishments under your belt. Last September I was in a 24 hour race (UltraMidwest) with an 80+ year old competitor who was pacing his 28 year old great grandson.

    I'm glad that this blog encourages you.

    ReplyDelete