Sunday, January 29, 2012

`Tentatively' easing into 2012 Cycling Event plans

These past six months have `informed' me of how erratic my training had to be.  I pretty much expected that but granted myself the luxury of being optimistic.  Much of what I had intended to do in the way of `training' was interrupted by mundane but important other matters.

I have a hopeful grasp on what is practical and realistic for me in the way of training and events over the next calendar year.  So the switch from ebullient optimism to practical realism ... I don't like it!  (If you set your goals only so that they're `realistic' it takes all the headiness, the unknown, the surprise out of things.)

My training will, perforce, have to be local in order for me to have any sense of fidelity to a plan. And I've been fortunate enough to be introduced to a variety of training surfaces and terrain (hills, mountains, flats, short [25 mile] courses that include flats and lots of short, spikey climbs).  Local short course    So this permits a rational plan for development of cycling skills and physical development.

I've had bike destroying accidents on one of my recumbents that has required a great deal of expense and mechanical work.  I'm not the best mechanic so it has taken time.

On the other two recumbents I've made pretty comprehensive changes in the gearing, cranks, and drive-train.  Again, this has caused me to spend a fair amount of money and experience many delays due to finding the time to do the mechanical work.

At this point all my recumbents are operational and can be ridden at the point of selection.

I'm even intending to dust off my upright bike for local and short trips.  I'll not need to do any mechanical work on the upright because it is, at worst, dusty.

In my next post I'll offer some detail as to the local training courses and a few of what I call `performance events.'  `Performance events' are what the training is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment