Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Learning, learning, learning

The profound performance of so many athletes at Sebring this year is inspiring and exciting. 

In conversation with one of the winners he told me that his coach had him substitute intensity for duration.  That is, train in tempo and threshold levels for a shorter period of time.  Although one would be skeptical of this method it worked extremely well for him and for a few others setting distinguished records last week.  He and at least one of the 24 hour RQ winners never trained for more than 3 hours during any one training session.  And look at the stunning result!

Honestly, that is good news for me.  The next several months have been coming at me like a tsunami.  Reconstruction of our house, relocating to a temporary living quarter, being onsite as much as possible during the reconstruction, laying the tile and laminated floor on both levels on my own ... and then fitting in relationships and training?!!

I'm planning to do several ultracycling events this year.  These, in and of themselves will be time and energy consuming.  So I'm going to try to follow the intensity v. duration plan.  There are two local training courses I am anticipating using for this work.  The first is right out my front door.  Over the mountain and back again.  34 miles and as many feet of climbing  The other is what is called the `Air Park.'  the Air Park is comprised of an industrial park and a medical complex.  Spikey and demanding.  One can easily spend 3 hours building both open road skills and hill-climbing power.  Spikey climbs and open road course

Maybe I've clicked to a way to reduce the size of that tsunami. 

No comments:

Post a Comment