Friday, April 6, 2012

It get's simpler

Since I `retired' from my `job' last June my `work' life has resulted in a number of benefits. 
  • I've lost 32 lbs and expect to drop another 20 lbs (170 is a reasonable goal for now);
  • I've been able to devote time to learning more about mechanical things (bikes, houses, cars);
  • Bicycling has become less `brand' and `platform' focused and more `skill' and `performance' focused;
  • I read much, much more (non-fiction);
  • My overall health has dramatically improved (lower weight, lower cholesterol, better blood lipids);
  • Though I never drank much alcohol I drink even less now;
  • Doing rando brevets is more likely now than before;
  • Allowing myself to target very challenging `ultra' cycling events, several times each year. 
Going from the flatlands of the midwest to the mountains of Arizona has been an important and challenging bicycling experience.  So much that I didn't know, requiring careful observation and consideration.  Pacing; gearing, attention to the fact that the unpopulated mountains and desert areas demand that one think in terms of `what if' ... I have a mechanical breakdown, run out of water / fluid, I'm over / underdressed.

A tangible, well-earned skill development with both rear wheel and front wheel recumbents: what terrain offers greater challenges and benefits to either.  `Growing' to be non-partisan to either platform, but to appreciate what each has to offer.  Avoiding the `which is better?' trap. 

Struggling, mostly successfully, with other cyclists who are biased against or in favor of `x' platform or `y' manufacturer.  Getting better at staying out of the fray and just doing what is challenging and rewarding to me.

Work in progress.  


2 comments:

  1. Dan, enjoy reading your blog. I noticed you are getting a CA2 from your forum tagline. Is this going to replace the Vendetta or maybe the Ti Aero?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be getting a Bacchetta CA2 at the end of June. I'll be adding this to my other recumbent line-up. It has been asked if I'll be replacing any of my other recumbents, i.e., the Cruzbikes (Vendetta, Silvio, Sofrider) or my Bacchetta Ti Aero. Nope. The fact is that each of these bikes fit nicely into my training regimen. I'll do a blog on that shortly.

    ReplyDelete