Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hoodoo `300' - 2013

Having crewed for the 500 this year the thought, of course, came to me as to whether or not I would consider entering the Hoodoo 500 for 2013 (mid-September).

The 500 is a `monster' race. And I mean `monster' and `race.' Forty-eight hours. Though the roads are fine there is an immense amount of (steep) and constant climbing (40,000 feet - give or take several thousand feed depending upon which device you use).

I concluded that though I could probably finish the 500 I couldn't do it as a race. I'd be very happy to consider it as a serious goal, and an exceptional accomplishment.

Just the other day my curiosity and interest has been renewed for this race, though. The race directors have announced that they will be offering two venues for the `Hoodoo.' The first option is just that, a 500 mile race (solo, team, unsupported voyageur). The second option is a 300 mile race (same categories) with a 24 hour limit. And on 300 miles of the same course as the 500 mile course.

There have NEVER been any recumbents registered for the Hoodoo 500. My conclusion is that this is the case due to the endless (many 13%ers) climbing.

I've currently ridden 4,700 miles with over 360,000 feet of climbing since Jan of 2012.  I'll likely close out 2012 with over 500,000 feet of climbing (7,000 - 9,000 miles) out here in the AZ mountains. Many of these climbs have included non-stop 22+ miles of 6 - 8% (with a few 12 - 16%ers thrown in).

I'm thinking seriously about doing the Hoodoo 300 as a non-supported Voyageur. The 300 has a finish time limit of 24 hours (instead of the 48 hours for the 500). The race directors will have drop bags at 2 or 3 locations for voyageurs.

So, I'd encourage others of us to consider this otherwise frightening race for their 2013 calendar. Remember, it can be done with crew support, as a 2 - 4 person team, or as an unsupported `Voyageur.'

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a daunting challenge, Dan, but you are one of those people that I believe can, and will, accomplish it. Good luck! BTW, I sold the Silvio and have been re-assembling my DF bikes. Check out my blog: www.patricklyford.com

    ReplyDelete