Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Bents can't climb" NOT!!!

I recently participated in a `race / ride' called the Skull Valley Loop Challenge. It's a 52 mile, 4800 feet of climbing loop from Prescott, AZ, south into the desert and back up the White Spars (RAAM / RAW route).

Though a few other folks in Prescott own recumbents and ride them I'm currently the only one that trains hard for time and distance (ultra stuff).

The previous year there were about 148 entrants in the SVLC. Having just moved to Prescott I entered on the Ti Aero (and weighing about 40 lbs more than I do now). I was the only recumbent. At that time I placed 52nd for a time of 3:21:00.

This year there were 179 entrants in the SVLC. Again, I was the only recumbent in the event. I rode the CA2. I didn't use any carrying device (no bag). I put a C02 cartridge, tube and levers in a small bag and stuck it in my jersey. I carried a 16 oz bottle of my usual maltodextrin / water mix. This year I placed 34/35 (tie) for a time of 2:49:00.  Skull Valley Loop Challenge - 2012   That is a 32 minute improvement from last year.

A few things having to do with my strategy.

  • I kept a liquid diet the day before.
  • I hydrated and fueled very well before the race.
  • I wore (and needed) the external catheter. (Peed 4 times ... very discretely.
  • The bike was stripped down, i.e., minimal water and tools. No bags. Triple 53/39/30 with a 10 spd 11/32 rear cassette. 700cc wheels of course.
  • Last year I waited until ALL riders left the start line before I took off. This year I was at the front line and took off in the lead pack.

  • PLANNED: On the 2 mile flat section before a 5 mile steep climb I pushed to be in the lead ... and was.
  • PLANNED: When I hit the 5 mile steep climb I didn't challenge anyone; I just kept the HR at a reasonable number while I was passed by many cyclists.
  • PLANNED: At the top of the 5 mile steep climb there is a screaming 19 mile twisting descent. I was not passed by ANYbody on the descent; I passed everybody within sight.
  • PLANNED: At mile 30.2 begins a steady and relentless 9 mile climb (4 - 8% incline/grade). My plan was to crank up the hill at a HR of 140 - 142 bpm until the 6th mile. Then my plan was to crank up the hill at a HR no greater than 150 bpm.
  • STRATEGY: What I may have lacked in climbing speed I more than made up for in stamina and endurance. I was passed only once by the owner of the LBS and his wife on a tandem. As the tandem was struggling to pass me I simply noted that if I kept my pace / HR I would pass them. And I did.
  • PLANNED: When I passed the 6th mile of climbing I increased my effort / watts to approach the HR of 150 bpms for the next 3 miles. I began passing several other cyclists again. STRATEGY: Exploit my stamina and endurance, despite the fact that the cyclists all seemed to weigh 30 - 50 lbs less than me.
  • PLANNED: After mile 40 the long climb transitioned to a series of steep, twisty descents and ascents until mile 48. I let myself make the maximum effort for speed with no regard to HR bpm. Hammer up the hills and scream down the descents. The tandem that had been trailing me passed me once (at clear maximum effort). I didn't challenge them at that time. I kept to my plans and passed them again and finally shortly thereafter.
    • NOTE: It is common for cyclists, when they crest a hill, to back off on effort and rest a little. My strategy is to do the opposite. Once I crest the hill I dramatically increase my effort and watts to achieve maximum speed. This results in a few effects: first, it surprises those ahead of me when I pass them; second, it cuts into their motivation (psychological) to have someone inrease their effort just when they are backing off, exhausted.
  • PLANNED: I continued to pass everyone I encountered that was ahead of me. There is a final climb (100 yards) to a crest, thereafter it is 4 miles of ranging descent to the finish line. I continued pouring everything I had into the remaining distance and, in the process, reeled in another 5 cyclists.
At the end of the `race / ride' I noted that I drank only half (8 oz) of the fuel I brought. I was not thirsty at all.

Had I tried to `burn all my matches' from the first to the last I don't think I would have done so well. The strategy and tactics that I used maximized natural advantages (stamina, endurance, power) and minimized the initial climbing disadvantages in the first 5 mile climb.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Dan. Sounds like you had fun. Is that legal in racing?

    ReplyDelete