Sunday, December 23, 2012

Indoor Training: Is It Harder?

The UltraMarathon Cycling Association sponsors a winter indoor cycling competition for members.  Some members spend as many as 28 hours in a row on the bike.  Others no more than 2 hours.  Which is harder? 

Obviously, those putting in long hours on the indoor trainer are doing so at a very low level of intensity.  But how does one measure capacity for boredom?  One of the qualities of a successful ultracyclist is an ability to persist under the worst conditions.  And experiencing hours of boredom wears you down.  Is that harder?

Many cyclists enlist the support of group indoor training sessions, e.g., spinning classes, etc...  This mediates the otherwise `boring' aspect of indoor training.  More, spinning sessions are usually short and intense, supporting the critical dimension of motivation to train in the winter.

Taking the middle road between double digit hourse of indoor training and intensely prescribed commercial spinning we find ... the bike-in-the-basement.  For most of us this is available and doable, allowing for a balanced work-family-training formula.  (I, for one, also experience the feeling of `guilt' when I train.  The `guilt' of neglecting the other two important dimensions: work and family.)

For me, indoor training IS harder than outdoor training.  And for a combination of reasons.  First, of course, is the boredom factor.  Second, I tend to make it hard on myself.  That is, rather than endure the boredom of multiple hours of low intensity training I opt for shorter and more physiologically intense training. 

Again, for me, 90 minutes on the trainer is like 180 minutes on the road.  No coasting.  No stopping for traffic, intersections, etc.  No tailwind. 

On the road I gauge the level of intensity (measured by my heart rate) to the amount of time I'm riding, the distance and the terrain.  I periodically glance at my heart rate but measure out my effort by the very subjective Relative Perceived Exertion Scale

As it turns out my indoor training sessions are more exhausting than outdoor training. 

A problem that I continue to have is equating hours spent indoor v outdoor. 

This past week I've retured to a disciplined regimen of training after 7 days of family traveling and other priorities.  My plan was to put in 14.5 hours of training.  I even identified the outdoor courses, miles covered and feet of climbing.  But the reality was that weather and other priorities had me on the indoor trainer 3 out of 6 days.  So, I completed 11.25 hours of training, about 100 miles and fewer than 6,000 feet of climbing.  Almost all of the outdoor training was in HR Zone 1.  And about half of the indoor training was in HR Zone 2. 

Plans offer structure and guidance.  At the end of every week, though, we usually discover that the reality trumped the plan.  Maybe for good?  Maybe not. 

But, then, seeking a `balanced life,' what is `good?' 

No comments:

Post a Comment