Friday, January 4, 2013

Crosswinds and Bitter Cold

Though the temp on the south end of the mountain was 20 degrees warmer (in the sun) than up top it was getting mighty windy by mid-day. I've come to the realization that it is warmer at noon than it is at 7am (brilliant!).   So, I try to get an hour or two of indoor training in before I head out.

Two out-and-back trips from milepost 298 to Kirkland. Fifty three miles and 4,200 feet of climbing (79 ft / mile). Didn't dress like the Michelin man because it `felt' warmer (35F?). Climbing up to milepost 298 from 295 is a warmup and takes about 20 minutes. From there it is a crazy 9 mile descent and then a right turn and 4 miles of rollers before the turnaround pount.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1077733

VERY windy from the NE with lots of gusty crosswinds vexing any chance of 45+ mph. On the return up to 298 the NE wind was a force to contend with. Notwithstanding a gear shift problem that denied me access to the 32t rear ring. (I have subsequently discovered that the rear wheel was set in the dropouts properly, i.e., the wheel was at an angle.) 

As I get into the twisty switchbacks on the `Spars' the wind gets squirrely. The hollows and ravine-like indents to the mountain focus and increase the force of the wind.

So there I was, riding uphill at around 7mph when a gust of crosswind pushes me OFF the road and into a small 3 foot patch of shoulder before a steep drop off into a ravine.

Fortunately I've got the `brake-and-unclip' thing down cold so I managed to stop and plant my feet on the remaining shoulder. But that crosswind gust felt more like a `slap' than a `shove.'

Turning around again at the top (mp 298) the second 9 mile descent was very, very technical. I had to anticipate strong crosswinds as I came out into an open hollow. I had to keep flexibility in both arm and shoulder control and a firm grip on the handlebar ends. As the wind was at my back as I descended 4-6% it was effortless to let the bike hit 43 mph. But, again, I had to remain conscious of the crosswinds.

As I hit a 6 mile glass smooth section of straight road the crosswinds were less of a problem but the oncoming traffic was more of a problem. Each time a van or truck passed there would be a softening of the wind and then a heavy `smack' of crosswind. I chose to stop pedalling, slow down and brace myself for this. But still, it was like getting hit with a rolled up carpet.

Returning again from the second lap, up the 9 mile hill and into the ever increasing wind was rough. My plan was to keep the HR at no more than 125 and the cadence at 85 rpm. But not having access to that 32t cog and feeling the pushback from the oncoming wind ruined that plan. Also, sweating from the training ride the wind and cold gave me a harsh chill that only more effort could remediate. Back to my old 65-70 rpm grind; although I did manage to keep the HR under reasonable control until the last two mile `push.'

All in all, what is normally a `4' out of `10' training ride turned into a solid 6.5 because of the cold, sweat and wind.

But I've never been pushed off the road going 7 mph uphill before.

1 comment:

  1. Either way you slice it, the wind blows and sucks at the same time.

    ReplyDelete