Friday, July 12, 2013

Reverting to form

I finally got rid of the `smartphone' that I erred in purchasing last month.  Lot's of `data' and too little `information.'  

Much like the medical industry, the digital industry considers consumers to be `microorganisms' with which to experiment in a petri dish.  They produce electronic gizmos to make fools of buyers who, like pigeons in a lab, respond predictably (not productively) to the intermittent reinforcement principle.  They keep `pecking/buying' til they break their beak/bank account.  (Look it up).  


A.  I'm not that important that people need to get a response from me between heart beats.


B.  Seeing on a little screen what I already know isn't sufficiently stimulating to my occipital lobe that it overrides my prefrontal cortex.  


If I were going to become addicted or dependent upon something it would be chemical rather than digital.  


Besides, there isn't much out there that holds promise to make me `better' than my slovenly, grumpy and cynical (yes.  hard to believe, isn't it) self.

3 comments:

  1. I have lots of little technology screens in my life, ipod, kindle,a crazy camera,swim watch, laptop and yes,a phone and I don't weigh myself down with their multi-tasking properties. I'm a purist and I ask little of them, just a few necessary functions. I refuse to be overwhelmed by their complete repertoires. And yes, chemical addiction is so-o-o much more entertaining. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small. I want a thing that let's me talk and hear others out of hearing distance. Magic is a small telephone that I can put in my pocket and not feel like I'm carrying a brick in my pants, that doesn't vibrate every time someone on the planet passes gas, that doesn't generate tunes or sounds intended to impress others or show my ego. Something that isn't designed to make me lust for the next iteration of itself. I'm gonna get me a Tracphone ... or whatever it's called. For long conversations I'll Skype. I need a GPS like I need to get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete