Friday, December 20, 2013

Carrying A Spare Tire

Most of my riding is in very remote locations, often 40+ miles from the nearest store, gas station, or even cell phone range.  Though the roads are often good to normal (no traffic!) I do have a concern about getting a tire trashed by a cattle guard or errant piece of sharp metal.

Over the years I've found myself needing to drill holes in the Bacchetta Carbon Hard Shell Seat.  Using the ADEM Aerodon Headrest requires drilling a few holes at the top.  The bottle holders on both sides, the same. 

When I bought Dana Lieberman's Bent Up Cycles CA2 I noted that he had wrapped a rubber ridge around the circumference of the CFHS seat and fastened using small zip ties inserted through tiny holes drilled into the edge of t he CFHS.  THAT was a good idea that protected the edge of the CFHS seat from the inevitable fall overs.

I have several different seat bags in which to carry almost every conceivable tool and clothing (esp now when winter can mean a 40 degree difference in temperature when descending or ascending).  I need all the room in the seat bag for these things.

So, I now drill 4 little holes in the CFHS for a spare foldable tire.  Two up top and two more 6 inches lower.  I thread cable ties through the holes and around the spare tire.  These holes are less than a few millimeters in diameter and don't impact the CFHS seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment