Thursday, August 28, 2014

Mountain `Road' Racing on the Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0

The Skull Valley Loop Challenge for 2014 takes place on Sunday, September 21. 
  
This is a short (53 miles, 4,000 ft of climbing) `ride' that many of us use as a `race.' Some screaming descents and witheringly long climbs. (vid of descent)
 
My current training schedule is probably too aggressive. (below).  But ... I can revise it as things evolve / develop.  
 
I had earlier planned on using both an upright bike and the recumbent on this year's race.  But, as it turns out, I am climbing faster on the recumbent.  So it'll be just the Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2 recumbent.  Gearing is 58/49 upfront and 11/36 (10 spd) in back.
  
Most of my training is done with my two good friends and neighbors, Forrest Holly and Dave Dornbush.  We've formed a `mutual annihilation society.'   
 
I'm also attaching the training routes, miles and climbing feet for each training route.
 
TRAINING SCHEDULE: Aug 28 - Sep 19: With Ridewithgps.com links
  
I've not assigned discrete training tasks for each day but I'll use the Bacchetta Ti Aero to train on for all but one Skull Valley Loop circuit and I'll incorporate the following training methods: 
  • intervals
  • tempo
  • strength training (climbing in high gear, keeping HR Zone 3 or below)
  • low and slow (aerobic)
  • bridging
  • ankle pedaling
  • bike handling on fast descents
Given that my `ready to ride' weight is currently hovering around 175 I'd like to get it down to 165 on race day.  Dicey.
 
Annie, my wife, will meet me at the top of Iron Springs Road (MP 7.5) with a bottle of water with electrolytes.  Then she will meet me at MP 298 (mile 40) again with another bottle of water with electrolytes.  I'll `preload' with a liquid formula of maltodextrin and protein powder.  During the race I'll consume Hammer Gel from a 4 oz plastic squirt vial.  No solid foods for two days preceding event.  External catheter (oh, get over it!). 
 
I don't intend to stop during the `race.'  I'll be using the `blue bike,' i.e., the CA2.  I'll be carrying no tools, no extra tire, no extra clothing.  If I get a flat or a mechanical ... I'm over.  Cooked.  I'll sag it to the end.   
 
My PB on this course is 2:49:00 in 2012.  I'm going to try for 2:30:00 this year.   
 
As you can imagine I'm over-involved in this craziness.  Why else would I be cathexing like this in such a public manner?

No comments:

Post a Comment