Thursday, February 26, 2015

I Feel Better Now

Four weeks of up and down `pushing the pain threshold.'  What was a subjective level 9 pain four weeks ago is probably a solid subjective level 5.5 now. 
 
Objectively, as well, the level of pain is much reduced.  
 
"I Feel Better Now."  I actually was happy to read that a famous basketball star was going to be off the court for 10 weeks while a torn muscle and pinched nerve healed.  When the man with no shoes sees a man with no feet.  Always "compared to what?"
 
An important experience for an athlete of any age: 29 (basketball star) or 69 (me).
 
Many dimensions to such an experience.  From a greater and personal appreciation of the difficulties people with chronic pain have to deal with (your world gets smaller and smaller, hemmed in and smothered by pain).  To an intriguing learning process of anatomy, physiology and pharmacology.  Not to mention the varieties of positions in which one learns to sleep. 
 
--
 
Two weeks ago the central highland area of Arizona saw sunny days and warm weather.  The last week was cold (though nothing like the Midwest and east).  Coming our way for the next week is rain and cold. 
 
During the warm weather I was feeling sorry for myself while I couldn't train and struggled with the pain.  Now that I feel better it is good fortune that mother nature is enforcing the `no biking' rule.  A hedge against risking a too soon return to the rough and tumble of training. 
 
Instead I will be restricted to indoor activities, specifically the elliptical.  Aerobic effort and increased time on the machine.  Another two weeks and .... I hope for warmer weather.  Another two weeks and .... I hope to return to outdoor training on the bike. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment