Monday, December 7, 2015

Pain Does Not Always Mean Gain - 2016 Training Rationale

2015 has been a good cycling year for me: from the neck up.  I've experimented and made bike modifications that, though time consuming, have `worked' for me.  I've done some very satisfying hot weather desert training.  I've enjoyed riding in some of the most beautiful, ethereal terrain on the planet.   

Planning my 2016 cycling calendar presents me with the need to decide what is both motivating and realistic. 

In the past I'd target some events that were more challenging than realistic.  I'd show up and realize that I'd not done the disciplined and consistent training necessary to do well.  "Eyes bigger than my stomach."

The discipline and time demands required for some events exceeds my interest.  Training can be a `tyrant' in that I find that I am either cheating on the training or cheating on other important things in my life: wife, kids, friends, work. 

As well, I've come to terms with the fact that successful completion of some exceedingly challenging cycling events ... just doesn't `float my boat.'  "So.  I just rode the bike for 24 hours, through sleep deprivation, cold and grim weather, harassed by dangerous drivers, etc.  Big woop!"

Several years ago this exchange took place in an interview about an upcoming challenge:

Him: "Well, I am sure you will succeed and finish this event."

Me: "Not so.  If that were the case I wouldn't even do the event.  Why do it if you know you can?  What is the point?  When I consider how the training distorts and interrupts the rest of my life ... it would seem exceedingly selfish.  Or, just a form of socially acceptable masochism." 

So now I know what it takes in the way of dedication, single-minded focus and hours and hours of training to finish even the most daunting of cycling challenges.  Knowing this puts it all into perspective. 

First, I don't need the ego-stroking I'd get for accomplishing such an event.  (I'm already pretty confident of my ability to do challenging things if and when I want to).

Second, I'd rather read a book, go to a movie with my wife, hang out with some friends or indulge my interest and passion for my work. 

These are some of the guidelines I am following in planning my 2016 cycling calendar:

  • There are undeniable health benefits to high intensity bicycling;
  • I need a monthly event to anchor my training;
  • Some time (12 hours) and distance (200 - 300 miles) limited events are challenging enough without disrupting the rest of my life with training demands;
  • High intensity training achieves performance results for these events without succumbing to the `tyranny' of long, slow distance training (hours or preparation, hours of training, days of physical recovery);
  • I am motivated to win some `metal,' i.e., podium finishes (awards, medals, plaques, course records);
  • I like the people involved in ultra- and competitive cycling.  Joining with them in these activities is fun and satisfying to me.  

2016 should be a fun year for cycling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment