Thursday, January 21, 2016

Another Learning Experience

Among the myriad cycling diversions of late I swapped out the front 700cc wheel on my CA2 with a 650cc wheel.  I had to change the fork but that was the only real `mechanical' change.

Today I tested it out.  The 650cc wheel up front and a 700cc wheel in back.  I don't think it is of any benefit or advantage except for the fact that I am a smidgen lower to the ground when mounting and dismounting the bike. 

Steering is twitchy.  Imagine that your front wheel is the size of a dinner plate.  Every turn of the handlebar results in a dramatic change in balance and steering.  You get the idea.  A small change, but significant enough if you're screaming downhill or negotiating a pace line.

(Note: I'm linking to one of my regular training rides on the White Spars near my home in Prescott.  An out and back course up, through, over and back again on a series of mountain switchbacks.  At mile 10.3 you'll note a steep 5% descent and a 180 degree turn ... that keeps descending.  If you drill down into the RWGPS ride you'll find many similar descents and switchbacks.  I LOVE this course and it really tests my bike handling skills when I'm pushing it at speed.  Just the slightest miscalculation in steering would put me in the oncoming lane or into the rock face. http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4658466)

Being lower to the ground is not worth the increase in twitchy. 

So ... that was interesting.  I'm glad I did that.  I know more about the `dynamics' of movement on recumbents. 

My `guess' would be that a smaller wheel upfront would be less problematic on a long wheel base recumbent. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically don't post `anonymous' replies but since many Vendetta riders have the need to justify their choice of bike I'm, in the interest of bending over backward to let them air their sentiment, I'm making this exception.

      Delete
  2. Excellent and very effective article.Thank you so much for your thought sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete