Thursday, March 17, 2016

TRAINING ROUTE FOR THE HOODOO 300

If all goes well I'll want to do two simulation / training events for the Hoodoo 300 in late August. 
 
There is limited value, physically, in doing long distance simulations of competitive events.  But there is significant value as it relates to equipment, nutrition and psychology. 
 
Living in the AZ mountains makes it doable and practical to locate these simulations right at home. 
 
The route I've designed is a series of loops, mountainous, low traffic volume and has good to excellent road surface. 
 
With some planning I can stash various supplies along the route so that I can do it without vehicle support.  As well, there is enough traffic so that if I have an unrecoverable mechanical problem I can hitch hike to a local town or gas station. 
 
I'll probably do the training rides on the Ti Aero.  A double (50/34) upfront with an 11/36 in the back.  SRAM R2C levers, tiller, Railgun seat.  Given that it will be an unsupported event I'll use a Norback bag to carry essentials between `stash' locations. 
 
 
 
The biggest differences are:
 
Altitude: Hoodoo (10,600 ft.) v. Prescott (6,100 ft.)
  • I crewed for a DF rider on part of the Hoodoo route and the high altitude makes for very, very cold nights.  These are made more challenging when the rider is wet with sweat and has to deal with fast descents.  Good wind shell clothing (and plenty of it) is essential. 
 
Climbing: Hoodoo (17,000 ft of climbing) v. Prescott (22,700 ft of climbing)

 


1 comment: