Thursday, February 23, 2017

Race Around Ireland - Considerations and Planning

The RACE AROUND IRELAND is regarded as one of the toughest cycling challenges in the world and will take the racers on a 2,150 km /1,350 mile journey past some of the most stunning scenery in Ireland.  The route will take you past Newgrange, The Causeway Coast, Malin Head, The Cliffs of Moher, The Ring of Kerry, Mizen Head, the Garden County (Wicklow) and back to Moynalty in County Meath and ALL within a week.  

I pre-registered for RAI in January of 2017 and the `Go - No Go' decision is on April 1, 2017. RAI is a `race.'  It is not a `ride.'  As a solo racer I will have 132 hours (5.5 days) to complete it.  If I finish in 132 hours and 1 minute ... it will be recorded as a `Did Not Finish / DNF.'  


A challenge as formidable, complex and financially costly as RAI requires hard-headed thinking, planning and analysis.  In my mind DNF'ing is not an option.  Too many sacrifices to not be a proud finisher.  


Below I am listing many of the factors that currently occupy my (remaining) mind as I approach the `Go - No Go' date.  (At any one time each of these factors is a `priority.')


Age:  I'm 71.  As much as I have a hard time recognizing (admitting?) that fact there are certain physical imperatives.  I'm in great shape but I know that, with age, my fitness and health are more brittle than when younger.  At the moment I am in almost complete denial of these so I won't blather on about this.  (I'm a psychologist so I know what I'm talking about 😔


Financial Cost:  For me this is equally a moral issue and a practical matter.  


If I allow my conscience to dictate my decision I devote these dollars to those whose needs are desperate.  It is self-indulgent to do RAI when so many people experience poverty, illness and ignorance.  I consider it my weakness - it is immoral - to spend so much money on RAI.


As I dial in the expenses I will absorb with RAI ... my `cheap Scot' muscle is getting overused.  I swallow hard and rationalize it by saying "who wants to live forever?!"


RAI is not RAAM:  Some may be aware of my concern that the RAAM course is more dangerous than it is worth.  As a previous RAW participant, RAAM Official and RAAM Crew Chief my opinions are not `armchair.'  In the US west the roads are narrow, vehicles include trucks, massive hay and livestock wagons, texting drivers and RVs (the worst).  In the US midwest the roads are often straight for tens and tens of miles, dulling drivers minds and senses, with drivers (and cyclists) wandering into opposite lanes.  In the US east the density of traffic increases all of these factors.  

RAI has different problems but, as far as I can gather, the life-and-limb dangers are mitigated.  Instead there are many country roads with poor quality pavement, narrow country roads, free range livestock, hundreds of hard to track and navigate turns.

Navigation:  Past RAI crew and officials have informed me that the many turns, roads and road signs almost guarantee getting lost (junk miles).  American crew/drivers are simply not used to driving on the `wrong' side of the road and get quickly lost in roundabouts.  Irish or experienced RAI crew doing the navigation and driving seems to be a `must.'  

Another navigation issue has to do with `reading' a cue sheet but not really getting a feel for distances.  GPS guidance and detailed off-line (RWGPS) maps may allow the navigator to better assess distances, turns, etc.  

Racer Communication: A helmet-mounted communication system, in my opinion, is a necessity for crewed ultra races. The Terrano System will allow firm and clear communication between racer and crew.  Navigation.  Nutrition.  Clothing. Encouragement and problems.  

Standard v. Recumbent Bike:  I'm confident about my climbing ability, but that doesn't mean I won't walk up hills that are too steep to ride.  By `too steep' to ride I'm referring to long 14%+ grades.  Can I pedal up these hills?  Yes.  Is it efficient and wise (energy expenditure, potential for injury? No.  I have nothing to prove regarding my climbing prowess.
  
Recumbent racing bicycles do have an aerodynamic advantage on flats and descents. When the terrain and road quality safely allow me to access that advantage I will.  But many of the Irish roads are not suitable for fast descents. Perhaps even less so on a recumbent.  

So racing on country roads will require acknowledgment that the recumbent advantage will be mitigated.  Plan for it.  Train for it.  

Nutrition and Hydration:  This is always challenging.  I and my crew will have to set clear schedules and practices.

Sleep Deprivation:  This applies to both the racer and the crew.  All the research supports the conclusion that one cannot `train' for sleep deprivation.  It must be acknowledged, planned for and managed.  

Mechanical Issues:  Two bikes.  Three sets of wheels for each bike.  Different gearing for each bike.  Ridiculous redundancy for spare parts and supplies.

Weather and Clothing:  Rain, cold, wind.  Be prepared to be creative.  Expecting to ride wet.  Dry clothes ... I don't know how that will happen -- yet.  

THE DEFINITION OF A FANATIC: A person who, when he loses sight of the objective, redoubles his effort.  (Stupid)

Finally, I am not of the mind that sheer willpower and emotional and physical prowess result in successful ultra accomplishments.  Sometimes we see the victor characterizing him or herself as being `unstoppable,' `a fighter,' etc.  This is probably done to deal with the anxiety of fear and trepidation.

Yes, it requires determination.  But it also requires rational calculation, sensitivity to recognize when the racer's cognitive processes are compromised, psychological calculations as to the racer and crew's processes, the crew's fatigue, and `fit' among members of the crew.  Emotional awareness and capacity to restrain one self.  To `respond' rather than to `react.'  

After a relatively short time `in the saddle' most of what happens is from the neck up, not the neck down.  

If the racer and crew do not admit that they are terrified I will give them three no cost therapy sessions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment