Friday, June 16, 2017

RAI Training Course(s)

The Race Around Ireland is 1,336 miles and 66,000 feet of climbing.  Much like the Race Across America (RAAM) there are no stopping points until you reach the end.  

Racing variable terrain means lots of flat terrain, lots of climbing, intense heat, and frigid cold.  On my recent trip to Ireland to inspect the course, the quality of the road, etc. I was reassured that it is eminently doable.  

My training for the Race Around Ireland includes five day a week training, some short intense cycling and growing `volume.'  That is, hours in the saddle, miles ridden.  

The local course I've been training (and training and training and training) on comprises 15.8 miles with 720 feet of climbing.  An `out and back' course from Skull Valley to Kirkland (and back).  This allows me to HQ my van near the Skull Valley Post Office for exchanges of clothing, food, hydration, bike adjustments, etc.  

I don't have the luxury of making the summer heat go away.  So I have to put in the miles and hours regardless.  

Today I rode 127 miles in nine hours and thirty minutes.  All but the first 27 miles saw the temperature reach 109F.  A grueling 5,500 feet of climbing.  June 16

Through and until mid-August I'll be putting in 300 - 400 miles each week.  Two days of the five will see 150 - 225 miles of training.   


No comments:

Post a Comment