Tuesday, September 12, 2017

What's Next?

Considering my disappointment with my short-circuited Race Around Ireland is there anything I would have done differently? Yes.  Hire an experienced guide to help recon the course when I went to Ireland in April.  That would have allowed me to see the steep `walls' at the top of the many rural hills.  And THAT would have slammed the door hard on any thoughts about doing RAI on a recumbent bike.  

But that is done and over.  Much gained.  Much learned.  Much remaining to be done.  

First and foremost is to continue raising funds to support research to beat brain cancer.  

In the early 1990's I worked at a hospice for persons with HIV/AIDS.  I saw first hand how well-funded research came up with effective treatments.  Literally within two years our hospice (Alexian Brothers Bonaventure House in Chicago) was transformed into a transitional housing resource.  It gives me confidence and hope that we can do the same or better with brain cancer.


A heavy cycling calendar for the remainder of the year and next year.  And that will be reflected in a different training program.  

  • I won't be doing any out of country events.  
  • At this point I am not inclined to have crew support on any events.  Costly and complicated.  
  • I hope to target one organized race every month.  That motivates me to train more consistently. 
  • I am reluctant to enter events that include risky open roads.  Can't entirely avoid this but I'm heartened to see some race directors (Bessie's Creek) have modified the course to reduce this risk.
  • Flattish and mountainous courses are in the mix.  
  • At least for the next six months I won't have to contend with triple digit temperatures (I think). This fact dramatically increases the training courses I can use.  Hills and Flats
  • Though I really, really don't enjoy crewing I will consider volunteering to do so at least once in the coming year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment