Saturday, May 16, 2020

Participating in Ultra Cycling Events During the Pandemic

Like most of us I am trying to find ways and methods to still participate in ultra events during the C19 pandemic.  I'm sharing some of a recent email I sent to a good friend who had earlier offered to be a crew member for me on the Natchez Trace 444 in early October of this year.  It would be helpful to me to get your thoughts and opinions. 


"At the outset (March and April) of the pandemic I was spending a good deal of time adapting and making adjustments to both my personal and professional life.  But in the past few weeks things have straightened out and a new normal has taken hold.  My wife has found ways to socialize without risk (which helps me not feel like I'm `abandoning' her while I work and train), my practice is completely virtual (i.e., telephone and video only, no in person work), and I've returned to steady and progressive training on the bike.  

As I've learned methods to minimize exposure to the virus I've reconsidered how and if I would participate in biking events.  Of course, most of these events have either been canceled or rescheduled to later in the year.  But there has been no notification as to whether the Natchez Trace 444 schedule has changed.  And I'm giving serious consideration to participating, still.  But my participation will have several caveats. 

If you're still up for crewing, and if I continue to plan on participating in it, here are a few considerations:
  • You, me, and another crew member would have to be tested for the Covid-19 virus immediately before the event.  At my expense.  
  • As well, we'd all have to have a robust antibody test. Again, at my expense.  
  • I think it responsible and prudent for each of us to get the Covid-19 and antibody tests after the event.  At my expense.
  • During the event we'd want to minimize proximate contact with other participants, their crew, vendors, gas station and store personnel.  
  • Wearing and using masks, hand sanitizers and handi-wipes would be essential.
Would you be willing to comply with these actions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment