Monday, July 20, 2020

"Too Much Is Never Enough" - Wisdom from Larry Graham

As a cyclist I owe Larry Graham more than I'll ever be able to return.  Larry is one of my ultraracing models and mentors.  He and his wife Christine directed the Calvins Challenge in Ohio for many years.  Larry corresponded a little with me in 2009 as I learned about and became interested in ultracycling.  He lent me equipment, drove out on the course in a driving rain to help me with a stubborn flat.  And advised me on many of the traps and tricks of ultracycling. 

Perhaps the most lasting wisdom from Larry came while I was flailing around trying to train too hard, too much for too far.  His experience in ultracycling taught him that the term `ultra' triggered all kinds of responses in people who take on the challenge.  On one of my whining lamentations about my poor results from training he responded that, for some in ultracycling, "too much is never enough.'  

It shouldn't come as a surprise that, as a psychologist, I often exempt myself from heeding the wise advice of others.  In this situation, however, Larry struck a nerve.  I've considered it a virtue over the course of my life to do more than what is necessary to achieve an objective.  Half the time this had good result. The other half ... I tended to fault myself for being less than capable.  

Larry's wisdom is still a lesson I am learning today.  It is harmful to myself and others to go beyond `excessive' in training.  And ... in other areas of life. 

So, a shout out and a heartfelt thanks to Larry Graham.  

1 comment:

  1. Calvins Challenge was my very first ultra event, completed on my 50th birthday, was a very windy day with 25 mph gusts. It was a great event, hopefully it will continue on. I seen Larry a few times, thought he was a great guy.

    ReplyDelete