Tuesday, January 26, 2021

HOW TO REPORT DANGEROUS DRIVERS USING A VIDEO CAMERA

 

January 16, 2021 

Yavapai County Sherriff’s Office

255 E. Gurley Street

Prescott, Arizona 86301

Sir / Madam: 

I had earlier (01-15-2021) sent you an email about a cycling incident that occurred on Friday, January 15, 11:40 AM on the road directly in front of (west) the Mormon Temple (7785 Iron Springs Rd) In Kirkland, Az. 

I have enclosed a USB / thumb drive with the following video files and picture: 

·        1-FALLON-011521-FRONT (MP4) – video

·        2-FALLON-011521-REAR (MP4) – video

·        3-FALLON-011521-FrontStrobeLight (MP4) – video

·        4-FALLON-011521-RearStrobeLight (MP4) – video

·        5-STROBE – (MP4) - video

·        6-REAR-3STROBES – (JPG) – pic 

DESCRIPTION OF EVENT: 

I was beginning a cycling training session heading south on Iron Springs Road immediately west of the Mormon Temple.  My bike was situated to the right (west) of the white fog line on the road.  I had not yet engaged the pedals (clipless) and the bike was not moving.  I was sitting on the `saddle’ / seat of the bike.  I was stationary. 

I noted a few vehicles on Iron Springs Road moving / heading north.  I looked up and saw a line of vehicles in the opposite lane approaching my position. They had not yet crossed the bridge.   I was waiting for the vehicles to pass me.  I never begin or stop a cycling training session when vehicles are approaching. 

I was looking at the front (big) ring on the bike and cycling computer to assure I was in the correct gear and that the computer was in the `ON’ status.    At that `instant’ I noted a white passenger vehicle that had moved out of the northbound lane and into `my’ southbound lane, accelerating to approximately 45 mph in an effort to pass the vehicle in front of it.  On review of the video (2-FALLON-011521-REAR (MP4)) this vehicle had an Arizona license plate # XXXXXXXXX (0:03:15).  The vehicle had already crossed the double solid yellow lines and was moving further west toward me, still to the right of the white fog line (1-FALLON-011521-FRONT (MP4)) – (0:02:48). 

I had no time to move the bike or `jump’ off the bike into the shoulder of the road.  As the video shows (0:02:48) the vehicle continued to approach me.  

At the time of this incident it appeared that the vehicle was veering further to the west and would likely collide with me.  At the last second (to my immediate left / east) the vehicle abruptly `jerked’ back toward the northbound lane.  

  1. This vehicle initiated passing the vehicle ahead of it while crossing the double yellow line;
  2. This vehicle was, in my estimate, traveling far in excess of the 25 – 35 mph speed limit;
  3. The driver of this vehicle failed to respond to the very, very bright forward facing flashing strobe light affixed to the front of my bike;
  4. The driver of this vehicle failed to respond to the fact that I was wearing a high viz iridescent yellow jacket, long bright white stockings and shorts that were emblazoned with equally high viz iridescent yellow stripes;
  5. I estimate that the vehicle passed me with less than twelve (12) inches between us.
  6. The vehicle did not have the front headlights on. 

The videos and picture I have provided in the USB / thumb drive show the bright, flashing white and red strobe lights (1 strobe light in front, 3 strobe lights in back, 2 of which are in red) affixed to my bike.  

I am requesting that you investigate this incident to determine if there were actions on the part of the driver that were not lawful and were dangerous.  I will fully comply with any requests you make of me in this investigation. 

Again, thank you.  You can be certain that I will not abuse your time and energy with less grave incidents. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment