Sunday, March 6, 2016

Not Worth It

IMPORTANT CAVEAT

The context of these comments refers to open road cycling, in general.

The RAAM organization is a  source of outstanding venues for endurance road cycling.  They continue to advance and promote the interests of the sport of ultraracing.  I have both experienced and observed a strong receptiveness to `user' feedback on the part of RAAM management.  Some of the events they offer are among the safest and well-managed cycling events in the sport. In no way should the reader interpret my comments as detracting from the RAAM organization.  In no way has any party or organization influenced the personal opinions noted below.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

God knows I have done and continue to do things for `glory' and ego satisfaction.  

But I read something the other day (about a scientist who won a Nobel Prize) that brought on one of those `smack my forehead' moments.  

When asked about how he felt about winning the Nobel Prize - the money and prestige - he said it didn't even cross his mind.  In fact, he didn't enjoy the trip to Stockholm to get the Nobel Prize and preferred to stay "back home, in the lab, doing my research."  

"I love doing difficult things because I learn so much.  The knowledge is what makes it so valuable to me.  I think I make a difference in other people's lives.  It's important.  But I don't manage the money very well, anyway.  Never could.  I don't use it."  

------------------------

Think of all the people who get hit, injured and/or killed on a bike. 
It is simply a dangerous sport, recreational activity.  We get hit by trucks, cars, motorcycles, animals (hitting critters when we're screaming down hills), dogs, junk on the road.  

I'm o.k. with taking these `reasonable' risks.  I love cycling.  Even though I've got scars, broken bones and probably hearing loss (motorcycles) because of it.  

But I won't do most long distance open road cycling events.  No matter how safe I attempt to be there is no protection from texting drivers, hostile drivers, impaired drivers.  

In the heat of race competition I saw too many people taking stupid, stupid, stupid risks.  Risks that put their own lives in jeopardy.  Worse, risks that put other drivers and crew members in jeopardy.  

I didn't know that before I was an ultracycling race official (2012) or an ultracycling crew chief (2013).   I was excited about it.  I thought I was `important.'

Risking my life like that is just not worth it.  The `glory' of it ... nope.  

What `knowledge' is gained in such an effort?  Not much.  Not worth the risk.  

There have been medical personnel measuring every conceivable aspect of ultraracing `over public roads' events.  One or two papers may actually have been written and published in journals.  But, to my knowledge, there is no money being spent by medical or psychological research entities on it.  

So.  Plenty of `glory.'  Almost nothing new in the way of `knowledge.'  And one giant heap of death and danger for it.  

Helps me make thoughtful judgments about my own cycling challenges ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment