Friday, February 26, 2016

Demands of Climbing on the Body

I rode the CA2 on a continuous and long 4 - 9 percent incline on a 20 mile course yesterday.  The steepest incline I've ridden in the past few months was 3 percent and then only for a short distance.  So this was a big change in riding terrain.

  • I awoke this morning with a sore lower back.  I attribute this to the steep 8 percent degree of recline of my carbon fiber hard shell seat. 
  • My front and rear chain ring combination is too severe, as well.  Front is 58/42 and the lowest ring in back is 34.  My rpm was way too low, probably around 75.  I have a lot of training to do the get the right muscle development that permits a higher rpm. 
Changes:
  1. Decrease the angle of recline of the CFHS seat to about 22 degrees;
  2. Switch to the Ti Aero with a triple crank up front (55/39/30) so I can get back to 95 rpm.
=========================
 
April 2, 2016:
 
I modified my Ti Aero for climbing.  Double (50/34) up front with the 11/36 in back.  Decided against the triple up front.  Just don't need that low of a gear. 
 
Perfect gearing, though the relatively small big ring up front means that I spin out faster on the steep descents.

No comments:

Post a Comment