Thursday, February 25, 2016

SOME PERSONAL OPINIONS - Not Intended To Piss You Off

I am generally disciplined and attentive to the possibility of drowning out the `signal' with `noise.'  That is, when I offer an opinion on a matter I try not to piss people off. 

If what I say does, in fact, result in a defensive or hostile response it troubles me and I wind up replaying the thing over and over in my head to see how I could have done it differently.
 
These, then, are my personal opinions.  They are as objective as I can make them.  If persons disagree with them I respect that.  Though my opinions may not shed new light on these issues I do hope that they don't generate `heat.' 

If you, the reader, wish to offer a comment to this blog post I will publish it only if it is not `anonymous.'  That is, be accountable.
 
Superman bars v. tiller:  if I were a fighter jet the issue of frontal area might matter.  But I just want to see what is in front of me better without a big riser pipe or handlebars obstructing my view.  Besides ... I wonder if, in a wind tunnel, handlebars and a riser pipe offer more or less frontal area than the tiller position.  `Angels on the head of a needle' thinking.
 
Rear wheel v. front wheel drive:
  • FWD is a novelty and unnecessary. 
  • In the terrain in which I live it is, in fact, more than unnecessary.  It is dangerous.  The FWD/MBB bikes I've owned (3 of them) were twitchy in steering and handling.  And very, very dangerous at fast (30 mph) speeds ... worse on descending switchbacks.
  • The marketing pitch about how FWD exercises the upper body is not accurate.  If a person wants to exercise their upper body ... do some pushups and don't swallow the marketing pitch.    I sold two of them back to the manufacturer and gave one to an old peoples home as a stationary exercise bike.
 
Aero: If a bike is aero ... it is aero.  And that has nothing to do with whether or not it is a FWD or RWD bike.
 
Setting Records: Put a class A athlete on a class C bike and you're likely to get a class A performance.  Especially if the course is dead flat.  Especially if the class A athlete is supported by the class C bike manufacturer crew.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that the bike rode itself.
 
Bikes Ride what you like and like what you ride.                             

No comments:

Post a Comment