Saturday, April 3, 2010

Near miss ....

Midweek during the Arizona trip I made a firm and confident decision to withdraw from RAW 2010. I changed my mind two days ago. I didn't inform anybody about my decision to withdraw because I wanted more time to let it just `percolate,' i.e., to think about it and re-think about it.
I spoke with a Paul Carpenter, current record-holder for RAW and a man for whom I have deep respect and admiration, stating the following:

-----------------
This week in Prescott has been exceedingly satisfying. Exceedingly. I've climbed the route up from Prescott, over Mingus Mt, through Jerome, Sedona and up to Flagstaff. 8100 feet of climbing straight out of the basement of Chicago. And, then, I returned the opposite direction back to Prescott. Frankly, I think the route back from Cottonwood, past Jerome, and over Mingus Mountain was more difficult than the other direction. Might be that I was pretty snackered from the two days of climbing.


Subsequently I've ridden back and forth between Prescott, Skull Valley, Peeples Valley and Yarnell. Several times.


Not once did I have to `rest' on any of these rides; though I did stop to get water and switch out wet clothes for dry ones.

Mechanically, I've got a strong sense of confidence in my set up and the equipment. In fact, I rode to Flagstaff and back with about 30 lbs of gear, equipment and tools - not to mention tummy - I wouldn't have on RAW.


Given all of this I'm confident of my strength, stamina and skills on the recumbent. However, I'm equally certain that I would not be able, over the next 2.5 months, to develop the `lasting' power, or endurance, to keep on day after day to Durango from Ocean View. I have had no experience with heat, yet. On completion of the Flagstaff and back route I was at my limit at this time.


Do I think I could not only finish RAW but place high in the standings if I had more mountain training, more 10 - 20 hour rides? Absolutely. But I also know that I'm quite likely to hit my limit of endurance after Congress.


So, I'm going to give it a few days before I officially withdraw from RAW 2010.


I'm not in the least disappointed. It is, frankly, a very straightforward recognition and calculation that I would have to spend these two months almost full time training in the heat and the mountains. To manage the logistics, disappoint the crew, spend the money, time and effort to probably barely finish --- barely --- that is not how I do things. In for a dime, in for a dollar. Make no heroic and dramatic ego driven goals that have the probability of coming up short.

So ... I've learned a great deal and would have done NOTHING different.


You've been my inspiration and motivation from the start. And keep me in mind as crew if it comes to that. I'd drop it all in a heartbeat to help you make the trek to Annapolis!!
------------------------

Paul replied:

Reading your logs and your email I wasn't expecting the punch line that came. It sounds as though everything went well and you rode some of the most difficult sections of RAW comfortably. While you know yourself best, it sounds as though you are on track and can finish RAW. Won't be easy, but then if it was it wouldn't be as much fun. It will be different racing with a crew than riding solo as you did. That support and the motivation of racing an be powerful. I can understand that if your goals are too finish strong, then if you feel you will be at your limit based on your training to date, then perhaps next year gives you time to build the speed and the endurance.

The lack of climbing and heat training is a concern. Living in the Midwest with a full-time job that's always going to be a challenge. When I did RAW, the lack of such training was a real concern to me. Didn't become an issue for two reasons. First, took a number of precautions in the heat to minimize the issue of the sun/heat. Second, approached the hills riding slow and steady rather than powering up them--rhythm was the key. I also think a lot of people who struggled went too hard that first day up to Lake Henshaw.

Give yourself time to reflect.
-----------

I concluded a few things over this past week, after listening carefully to Paul, reconsidering my training plans between now and June.

First, I think I underestimated how well I performed in Arizona. Think of it: training literally in the basement all winter to riding some of the toughest terrain in very difficult weather ... and doing it well, without mishap, without even stopping to rest or eat. Rode more than 370 miles of difficult, mountainous terrain, climbing between 30,000 and 35,000 feet in the process. In daylight, at altitudes of 8,000 feet.

Second, I am accepting Paul's comment about how different it can be with a crew supporting me. I carried about 20 lbs of extra body fat and 15 - 25 lbs of tools, clothes, and other gear on the bike and STILL did what I did.

Third, I will be modifying my training to make weekends 18 - 30 hour long rides to work on `endurance.'

Fourth, I'll focus on staying as cool as possible during the heat of the event. Allan and I have discussed various methods to accomplish this.

Finally, I'm feeling a little angry and pissed off about this. And I know myself well enough to realize that this is the part of me that has surfaced in the past amidst difficult, challenging and otherwise overwhelming odds. That pissed off angry `Dan' part of me is like that confident and supportive `big brother' urging me on to do what I am certainly able to do.

So ... we're on to RAW 2010 with winning (ugly!!) in mind.