Thursday, September 23, 2010

Probably better ...

I've been actively participating in a few cycling organizations over the past few years as a bent rider. Earlier, as a DF rider, I'd have occasional reason to be involved in these organizations but not as actively.

I'm better on a recumbent than I am on a DF. In fact, I'm probably in the top 10% of recumbent riders/racers, even with the minimal amount of time I have been able to devote to training. Age notwithstanding (or, despite my age).

When I consider that I entered RAW 2010 with fewer than 1500 miles of outdoor training and did as well as I did ... being a DNF with 415 miles in 25 hours ... is evidence.

On too many ultra events I have found that I am discounted. First my age. Next, that my platform is a recumbent.

I am less for neither.

This month I was 3rd in all categories on a 24 hour event. The race organizers overlooked this and reported erroneous results; failing even to refer to my result. When brought to their attention they apologized and issued a correction. They are sincere. And they certainly regret it.

I accept that cycling is predominantly considered a DF world.

So, what does it mean that I took home the `trophy' for being the Recumbent Champion of the recent 24 hour event! I was the ONLY recumbent entrant!!

And what does it mean that I own the UMCA cross state recumbent records for Illinois and Indiana ... when I had a lucky tailwind for both!

The organizers of these events are wonderful people with unselfish motives and a sincere and genuine desire to give to the sport. The folks are, in my mind, heroes and mentors.

Nevertheless, when I consider the sacrifices and effort that I put into training on the recumbent I resent these oversights.

So, as a recumbent racer, it is probably better that I ratchet down my expectations for acceptance in most ultracycling events.

The plan is to become gravely serious about breakthrough performances at ultracycling events; not to just show up for the fellowship, or to use the event as a good training experience.

The plan is to target the fastest times from point A to point B in all categories and on all platforms.

I am not a `grandmaster.' I ride a two wheeled machine. It is a recumbent.

I won't be stopping to etch an early gravestone.

"The knowledge that every ambition is doomed to frustration at the hands of a skeleton have never prevented the majority of human beings from behaving as though death were no more than an unfounded rumor." - Aldous Huxley

Two speeds: Stop and Race.
__________________

- Dan

"For really I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he: and therefore truly, sir, I think it’s clear, that every man that is to live under a government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that government.” 17th-century Englishman, Colonel Thomas Rainsborough

No comments:

Post a Comment