Monday, November 29, 2010

Me? I want to be faster, fastest and first. If that is attributable to wind, terrain, unholy engineering, or just a good day ... I'll take it.

And when another comes by who is better in all categories I'll praise his/her good fortune, talent and hard work. I'll grumble and swear. But I'll be glad to share with the few something that is hard won.

In a hundred years (as they say) we won't be remembered.

So, you see, all that matters is how we are towards one another in the here and now. And I'm not so good at that, even. F'sure.

Perhaps it is because I've experienced so many failures, disappointments, losses, embarassments, a few reqrets, and reasons for shame.

Mostly I don't want to be lonely, in protracted pain or afraid. Never did. Didn't know it though. Time and a reputation for being a slow, but persistent, learner helped. It's workin'.

My smiles express an embrace of others who are learning towards what I'm so recently aware of.

When young I could hide this wisdom in a tsunami of hormonal rage, fury and enormity. Youth, for me, was fun. But it was blind and self-absorbed.

Now? I'm a tad less driven.

I like it now. It's better. Dessert.

And I'm not going to give it up with out the most ferocious of battles. As William Wallace once said: "A'm gooin' t' peck a fight!!" With a smile, a nod of the head and a threatening twinkle in his eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment