Monday, June 27, 2011

Arizona Mountains Training Plan: August to December 2011

My training plan for the next several months is shaping up.  To accomplish the ultracycling speed and distance goals that I have will take between 12 - 18 months of focused and disciplined training.  This is the first installment of the kind of training I expect to accomplish in the Arizona mountains. 

The rural desert mountains and warmer southwestern climate provides me with at least ten months of the year of challenging terrain and `doable' outdoor weather.  (Unlike the central midwest where big cities, snow, ice and blizzards for 5 months of the year destroy any possibility of consistency and growth of strength and endurance). 

The Garmin links below provide examples of the mountainous terrain:

Prescott to Flagstaff - mountainous terrain to the north

Prescott to Congress - mountains to desert to the south

Skull Valley Loop - local mountain terrain

And below you will note the `work in progress' training plan I have to start with.

Training Plan and Schedule - Aug to Dec 2011

The current (short term) training plan is rooted in a near term event goal, i.e., el Tour de Tucson on November 19, 2011.  You will notice that I've sketched out only 4 weeks of the four month training plan.  I think it is prudent to apply the Periodization Method to training.  And I am certain that the specific day-to-day training tasks will be varied but in keeping with the Periodization strategy. 

Here are a few of the local training courses I have developed and plan to do as my fitness and endurance improve:

Local mountain and desert long distance encurance training courses

No comments:

Post a Comment