Friday, July 22, 2011

Modified my Training Plan - Next 5 weeks

Like everything I've done in my life I've set goals that are about 50% too big.  I did that a few weeks ago with my AZ training program. Yesterday's experience (felt wiped out) helps me `inform' my thinking so that I don't overtrain (and miss out on the rest of life).

Because the terrain around Prescott is hilly to mountainous it requires some `grinding' up 6% - 9% hills for at least half of every training workout.  Far less `gliding along' even though there are lots of downhills.  (Interesting, the downhills really demand riding skill improvements ... essentially making them almost as difficult as the uphills).

So, I'm focusing less on Miles trained and more on Time and Intensity.

Next week I've got 11 hours scheduled, the next 12.5 hours, next 14.5, next 18 (which may be too demanding).

The temptation to take advantage of the wonderful training opportunities here requires real discipline.

There is that `balance' thing in life.  Not to mention the fact that `overtraining' plays more havoc than `undertraining.'

And, though I hate to say it, being 65 yrs old may have some impact on my physical ability to recover one day to the next.

2 comments:

  1. You should give yourself a couple weeks to acclimate yourself to the altitude. Even as a child, going from sea level during the year to summer camp at 5,000 feet required about a week. I'll bet it gets better for you as you get used to the thinner air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg ... Makes sense. Just woke up from a nice long afternoon nap. Mild sense of fatigue felt by both wife and self since we got here a week ago. That'll change.

    ReplyDelete