Saturday, October 12, 2013

Doable, Non Brain-Killing Off-Season Training

I used to report my philosophy about cycling as: "I'm a fanatic about living a balanced life."  I hope the irony is taken.

Due to both a desire to pursue other interests (reading, geology, local history, etc.) and have emotional and physical energy available for family and social life I've struggled with bicycling.  To develop the level of performance I want requires at least 12 hours of cycling and the concomitant 8 - 12 hours of recovery (being `flat' and tired) per week.  In a word: unbalanced.

`Reluctant' is the word that best describes me when it comes to intense training.  (Joe Friel's recent blog entries do an excellent job of defining `intense').  Intervals are uncomfortable and taxing.  Tempo training, for me, bleeds off some of the pleasure I take in cycling up here in the beautiful high desert and Arizona mountains.  As well, when I have the expectation of doing tempo training I have made myself feel `pressured.'  As an adult I've pushed back against things and people who pressure me.  I get angry (and stubborn). 

Moving into the `cold' season adds to the reasons, and excuses, to not train well.  Too cold.  Takes too much time arranging clothing for cold, warm and even hot temps at different altitudes.  Shorter sunlight and black ice on mountain roads limits the times during the day I can ride.  The certainty of unavoidable mechanicals and flats reinforces the need to carry dry clothing available while I fix the problems. 

Yesterday I completed a training regimen that holds real promise for a good `off season' experience.  It addressed much of the reluctance and many of the  objections I have to winter training -- and training, in general.  It holds promise for a good several months of training. 
  1. I don't have to carry 3 seasons of clothing.
  2. I don't have to worry about ice and daylight.
  3. I don't have to deal with the cold.
  4. I save a great deal of time.
  5. I can ramp and taper `interval' and `tempo' training.
  6. I don't have to worry about mechanicals or flats.
  7. I can hit the road less frequently and still maintain good fitness.
Indoor training.  Without the mind-numbing boredom of 3+ hour sessions on a bike. 

Below I include Garmin HR data for three activities.  The first activity is use of the Concept2 indoor rower.  Then the elliptical.  And finally the bike on an indoor trainer (Lemond Revolution).  Each `machine' allows for measuring time and effort.  Doing so permits development of a training schedule and program.  And, to paraphrase many, `anything that exists does so at a certain quantity that can be measured.'  And anything that can be measured allows for comparison and improvement. 

One Hour on the Indoor Rower

One Hour on the Elliptical

One Hour on the Indoor Trainer (Tempo and Intervals)

Now I have all the benefits listed above and a baseline with which to build a Training Plan and against which I can measure change (performance improvements). 

This is a great relief to me. 

But right now I have to get out the door to do this:  Skull Valley Loop





 

No comments:

Post a Comment