Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Training for Redemption (Note: no `god' talk here)

I've done better (2:49:00) and I've done worse (3:21:00) on the annual September Skull Valley Loop Challenge.  But I've never hurt so bad as I did this year (3:10:00).  Cramps.  Bonking.  Disappointment. 

In an earlier blog entry (IT NEVER STOPS) I offered my `analysis' of why things went so awry this time.  I also vowed that I would train differently and do better next year. 

Since writing that blog entry I concluded that I can race the SVLC course any time I want.  I don't have to wait a full year to do this course. 

So I gave myself seven (7) weeks to train differently and then do the SVLC course again.  I'm scheduled to race the course (solo) on Monday, November 3rd.  I intend to `redeem' myself. 

I'm training at `race pace' instead of at `tour pace.' 

Mindful of the need to balance rest with effort I've ratcheted up the `intensity' factor of my training.  Here are the factors of the `race' training method:

1. disciplined hydration while racing.
2. disciplined fueling / eating while racing.
3. twice weekly indoor intervals.
4. twice weekly tempo outdoor training. 

Intervals: 

I've avoided intervals in the past because a) they're uncomfortable, b) I've `wasted' myself when doing them by doing too much too fast.  This time my program is tighter and less arduous.  I'm doing only one half hour of intervals twice per week.  And the schedule is as follows: 30 seconds intense effort, rpms around 95; 3 minute rest between sets. 

I've found that this formula taxes me but doesn't deplete me for the rest of the day.  (INTERVALS)

Tempo Training:

Outdoor intervals and tempo training in mountains is hard to actually `dial in.'  For example, I can do interval max output for 30 seconds on a 4% incline, but backing off for 3 minutes ... still leaves me with cranking up that 4% incline.  Not quite `rest' between max efforts. 

And typically, when the 3 minutes is up I find myself descending and am unable to push as needed for the 30 seconds. 

Tempo is much more manageable but still gets complicated.  Ascending inclines I can hit my tempo heart rate goal but only as long as I'm ascending.  Of course, ascending takes more time than descending.  But there is scant chance for continuous, non-stop climbing before I hit a descent and the effort and heart rate plummets.

So, yesterday I developed a plan to accomplish steady and constant tempo pace. 

The 54 mile, 4,400 ft of climbing route from my home in Prescott to the `intersection' called Kirkland includes some climbing at the outset.  But after about 14 miles of steep ascents and descents (the White Spars) the route changes dramatically.  After 14 miles there are 9 miles of continuous descent (during which the power and heart rate drops).  Then there are another 4 miles of rolling descent to Kirkland. 

The opportunity for good tempo training occurs on the return trip up from Kirkland to mile post 298, a solid 13 miles of climbing at 2% - 9%.  With two exceptions of about 100 yards each it is all uphill. 

Yesterday I did the tempo training on the `Kirkland' route.  It is a great training ground for tempo.  It took me two hours, at increasing heart rate (and power, though I don't have a power meter), to complete the 13 miles. 

I stayed in the big (55t) ring up front and rarely got below the 28t ring in back.  My rpms were probably 70-75.  (TEMPO - Kirkland Route)

By the time I hit mile post 298 I was really feeling it.  That is a good thing.  (As well, I was feeling the cold of altitude and had to put on some arm warmers and a windbreak jacket).  I had about 17 more miles to go (including several long 9%-15% grades) but I allowed myself to keep the HR in the 115-130 bpm range.  Essentially, at `tour pace.'

So now I have two components of `race pace' training available to me right out my front door. 

I'm still looking for that (nearby) elusive flatland for long, 8 hour aerobic training.  Might be a long wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment