Saturday, June 28, 2014

I'll Settle.

Tonight I pronounced, thoughtlessly, that I was `happy.'  And I immediately checked myself. 

All my life I've skirted around declaring `happy' about anything.  `Meaningful.'  `Useful.'  `Can't complain.'  But ... happy?  Nope. 

I'm refitting my upright bike so that it works better.  Since I've not used the upright bike for years the components were worn out and pretty much a hodge podge of incompatible parts. 

The right Ultegra shifter is a really banged up 9 speed.  The big ring up front is worn to the nub.  Shifting is sloppy. 

All my newer inventory parts are 10 speed so I bought a new Shimano 105 10 speed right shifter.  Replaced the big ring with a new one.  I've got a dozen nearly new rear 10 speed cassettes in inventory.   

Looking online at rear 10 speed derailleurs meant putting out anywhere from $65 - $110.  So I started digging around my derailleurs bin and found five almost brand new SRAM and Shimano 10 speed rear derailleurs. 

So I `felt' really happy.  I can finish the job tomorrow in half an hour with great drive train and shifting parts. 

It isn't so bad being an `inventory' freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment