Sunday, June 8, 2014

Using Both Recumbent and Standard (diamond frame) Bike in a Race


In 2008 I completed an 8 day 900 mile trip through southern and central Indiana on my Airborne Ti Zeppelin standard (diamond frame) bike.  Having found meaning and expression in cycling all my life I was pretty shaken at the end of those 8 days: it was physical and emotional torture.  More pain (saddle sores, shoulder, arm, wrist, neck) than I could `rationalize.'   

Cycling had become a way for me to push back (be tough!) against the kinds of limits that life presents to us all: age, job, responsibility to find meaning, relationships.  But in 2008, when cycling went `flat' on me I was presented with a growing sense of worry, mild dysphoria.   Was my `tough' self defeated? 

What would I do with myself?   

We are all confronted with the `problem / opportunity' of making meaning in our life.  A need to express our self in ways that we consider useful, good, productive.   Sometimes we're able to do that in an abiding way.  A struggle, perhaps, but `worth it.'  Sometimes we're not so `able' to do that and wind up being frustrated and feeling empty inside.  Like "What's the point!

A friend suggested that I try riding a recumbent bicycle.  My reaction to his suggestion was: “A recumbent?  Why?  I don’t have any physical problems?  I’m not fat.”  But, I gave it a try and found it a very demanding athletic challenge.  (Bacchetta Ti Aero high racer). 

The recumbent bike has been one of the key methods by which I have been able to express myself in a useful (healthy) and productive way these past several years. 

--

I'm fortunate to have survived many of life’s adversities.   That is, the stupid stuff I've done hasn't had such crushing consequences that I couldn't recover.  (Just dumb luck!)

I live in what is called the `central highlands’ of Arizona.  The Bradshaw Mountains.  Nary a flat stretch of road for miles and miles.  Great training location for cycling.   But, for recumbent cyclists it can be a solitary experience. 

Recumbent bikes don’t climb as fast as standard bikes.  They are typically faster on descents and the flats than standard bikes.  There are no other recumbent cyclists out here.  It is just too damned hilly. 

The result is that when I ride with a group they are all on standard bikes.  They wait for me at the top of hills.  I wait for them at the bottom of hills.  Kind of herky-jerky.  Takes lots of the socializing and fun out of group rides. 

So I’ve done almost all of my cycling alone.  A guy can be `solitary’ just so much.  It’s good to have friends, acquaintances, shared activities, etc.  

--

A (very) long story short: I’ve taken up riding my standard bike again.   One day I ride the recumbent bike.  The next day I ride the standard bike. 

In fact, I went on a small group ride on my standard bike just a few days ago.  Met a new person and had the pleasure of the company of a few cycling friends. 

But I really, really suck on the standard bike!  It’s painful.

I’ve been off it so long that I don’t have the capacity to deal with even a few hours of the discomfort standard bikes require (hunching over the handlebars; shoulder, neck, arm, wrist fatigue; saddle sores).  But … I think I can reduce the discomfort with consistent and progressive training on the standard bike.  Enough so that I participate in group rides with the locals. 

--

Herewith enters the `tough guy.

I want to do a race using both the standard bike and the recumbent bike. 

Climb with the standard bike.  And descend and do the flats with the recumbent bike.  Best of both cycling `platforms.’ 

I do know of cyclists who are `good’ on both kinds of bikes.  But there are no `races’ that permit, allow, the racer to interchange bikes during the race.  (That I know of).

There are, however, cycling events that are challenging, recreational and don’t restrict the cyclist to any one platform.  The event that I’m giving some thought to is the Skull Valley Loop Challenge
http://www.prescottbikeped.org/prescottcycling/loopchallenge/.  It is an annual (September) open invitational cycling event in Prescott, Arizona. 

The SVLC is a 52 mile loop through the Bradshaw Mountains.  Lots of climbing and descending (about 4,500 ft).  I’ve `raced’ this event three times in the past three years.  I know of no two wheeled recumbents ever doing this event.  (But Mike Cash raced his Ice Trike at the Skull Valley Loop Challenge last year.  Riding trikes in this terrain is even more uncommon than two wheeled recumbents). 

With a vehicle and a crew of one or two I’d switch bikes (standard to recumbent to standard) about three or four times.  There are two long ascents and two long descents with very little flat to rolling terrain. 

My best time is 2:49:00 (2012) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/223495272.  At this point I wouldn’t venture a `goal’ finishing time.  But I could guess that I could take 25 minutes off of that PB. 

 

5 comments:

  1. A timely article - I keep thinking I should get a standard bike and tough it out on group rides but then again, I haven't convinced myself it's worth the cost or the effort. I supposed if I rode in hills or mountains a lot, it might be an easier decision! Good luck man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say you, Gerry and I all ride just our bents in the September Skull Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that would be great. But I still want to do the `two bike' race; perhaps at another time. Curious, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your story and have had fun with multiple bikes during my 30 years of racing & riding. A diamond fr. bike requires a vigorous upper body fitness regiment with cross training. Swimming , kayaking , & stretching . You have to train off the bike to maintain fitness with D.F. performance. Bowflex is my preference for a season of criterium, & circuit racing . The bent requires a good spin and hours of pedaling for good performance. Best wishes with your dual bike performance. JT. If you have the opportunity to ride a fat tire bike (crusher) ? Very humbling ride, but stick with it and your road bikes will fly !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a 3000-5000 mi/yr. fast rec rider, I rode my DF and hi racer recumbent about 50/50 for several years. I found that they complemented each other very well. I was faster during this "mixed" period than any other in my cycling years. I largely ride my bent now and have slowed noticeably.

    ReplyDelete